Monday, April 10, 2006

Double Pink

My kid is crazy about pink. It used to drive me nutty. When she was smaller and didn’t have an opinion, I dressed her in colors I like and sweaters I made using orange, red, yellow, chartreuse and more. She was my little paper doll and she always looked cute albeit covered with some kind of food (she has never been a clean kid). But then she discovered pink. At first I ignored it and thought it would go away. It didn’t. So I gave in and decided to have fun with it. I have learned from Julia that pink can be really pretty. There are all kinds of pink – pale pink (gets too dirty), watermelon pink, zinnia pink, dried flower pink, Indian sari pink. It’s versatile and I love to mix it with dark brown, orange, chartreuse and turquoise. Diana Vreeland said “Pink is the navy blue of India.” I don’t think she was wrong. There’s a lot of pink in my upcoming book - it's a new awakening for me.

I just found this great kids book called Double Pink. The eye poppingly bright illustrations by Bruce Ingman are indescribably cute and the story by Kate Feiffer gives me hope that a new color may be just over the horizon. I won’t hold my breath though.

No comments:

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...