Friday, April 28, 2006

My new steamer

Little things really make my day sometimes. When I worked at Classic Elite, I had a professional steamer in my office and ever since I left - I have desperately missed it. I finally bought myself one to use here. I figured since this "writing book thing and designing sweater thing" seems to be how I am making my living, I should have my own steamer. I got my Jiffy steamer at Goodman's - Model J-2000M for $156.99 plus freight and it arrived in less than a week.

I mention this here because really good steamers aren't too expensive anymore. They are much better than they used to be - turn it on and it heats up in about 2 minutes. Pure hot magical steam floats out the nozzle. There's even an automatic shut-off for stressed out people who forget to shut it off. If you knit and stitch a lot, you really deserve one of these. They work wonders! I can massage lumpy fair isle into a flat, smooth, even fabric. I used to wash all my knitwear before sending the pieces to magazines. I sent many a damp sweater and paid postage for wet yarn going out the door. Not anymore.

With a steamer, all my lumpy, bumpy Fair Isle colorwork flattens itself out. My embroidery stitches become nice and even. A steamer is a miracle worker!

No comments:

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...