Friday, April 14, 2006

Springtime Memories

My dad Archibald Nicholas Jr. died the 21st of December 2004 (the day of the winter solstice). Last fall I planted 1000 spring bulbs in his memory in the lawn and gardens outside our farmhouse. Dad was a gardener so I thought what better memory to have of him every year than spring flowers. All winter, I have been anticipating their blooms - they are finally poppng! Here’s the first bouquet I picked.


My dad used to carry this poem in his wallet and read it to his friends. If you knew my dad from afar, you would be really surprised to know this. But then everyone has a side they don’t show, don’t they? I know that whoever lives on this land 100 years from now won’t know about my dad but they sure will enjoy the blossoms!


The Daffodils

By William Wordsworth (1804)

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.


Continous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.


The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:


For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy almost summer to you. I think that daffodils are the most hopeful of all the spring flowers. And I have that poem posted on a board above the computer...the board is filled with all good things to see-pictures, prints and poems...including one from the Beguines in Brugge-once a santuary for women from the time of the crusades through the 1930s and now a convent.
Patricia

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...