Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Summer Stitching

Summer has arrived and kids all over the USA will shortly be uttering the words “I’m bored” to their frustrated parents. I remember that feeling – being a kid and exhausted from all the schoolwork and social activities. Then summer vacation hit and there truly was nothing to do.

I’ve got an activity for all those kids out there – and their mothers and fathers too. Pick up a copy of my book “Kids Embroidery” and start a-stitching. When I was working on the book, I test-drove all the projects at my local library’s summer reading program. The kids did needlepoint on plastic canvas and then lots of free-form embroidery. They all loved it. I find children eight years and up are the most prepared to learn. I like kids to have success and not be frustrated when learning a new craft – that’s why I wait until they are ready.

The tools you’ll need are mostly around your home – scissors, rulers, little everyday tools. Go to your local craft or sewing store and pick up some felt rectangles and cotton embroidery floss in bright colors, embroidery needles with a large eye, and a removable marking pen. If you prefer to work with wool, hop on over to Magic Cabin and order up one of their wool felt color assortment packs - it's a nice quality and easy to work on. (They also sell Kids' Embroidery! and a nice little beginner stitching kit.) Grab my book and go – there’s hours of summer fun to be had.

When I work on a book, I often need multiples of the same project - in different colors to show the variety that can be obtained. Sometimes, I personally run out of time and then have to enlist the friends and family I have that can stitch to help me out. Kids' Embroidery became a team effort with some local girls stitching up projects and my sisters and their kids, not to mention my mom, helping out. One day, when I was extremely desperate and close to deadline, I threw a little stitching bee. These pictures show my sister Nancy and her friend Elizabeth and both of their children. We had a great day drinking ice tea, talking, stitching and teaching the kids to stitch. They all took their projects home and finished them within a weeks time. Then they came back and modeled for the book. Talk about a family and friend's effort! Thanks so much (AGAIN) Nicholas Girls.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Your timing is amazing. Our last day of school here was June 9th. By approximately 6 p.m. on June 11th, the first "I'm bored", was launched from my very energetic 8 year old... thanks for the idea.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...