Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Holstein Sheep?

Is this patchwork lamb too much? Talk about cute? We’ve had four lambs this year that are spotty. They resemble David and Debbie's Holstein dairy cows across the road more than our ewes and rams. This is our first patchwork ewe - which means we'll keep her. She's quite good looking - isn't she? I know you are going to ask me about the sheep breeds we have soon - so I'll be giving you a run-down of that within the next few days.

This one has a heart on his side.

This ram lamb has lovely mottled white and black patches.

7 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

Will she stay patchworked like that or will she turn a single color later?

Christine Thresh said...

Oh, I'd like some of her fleece to spin into yarn. Can I reserve some?

Marcy said...

Darn you, Kristen! I have it on my list to do a blog entry about Holstein sheep! :D

kate said...

SO sweet! BTW, I have a knitter friend who is startig booties- so I shared my FAVORITE bootie pattern with her- the one in Knitting for Babies- the simple one- I love that one- thanks, again. Hugs to the lambs...

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I love that little Holstein lamb! Will be watching to see if her fleece stays like that when she grows up.
=:8

Anonymous said...

I would swear it was a Sunbrite Farm calf. It is a good thing there are no bulls on the farm. Maybe it is the Jeremys? It is cute.

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, having caught up with the last few posts.
The story of the chilled lambs was so touching. And I'm so pleased that the lambs were accepted by the ewes. I know that doesn't always work.
I'm not minimizing in any way the amount of work a farm takes... but how lucky, how amazing to see the wonder, the beauty really, of nature from up close.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
And I'm curious about the spotted fleece too... does it stay? How cool!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...