Friday, March 02, 2007

Snowy, Slushy, Seussy Day

Today it was a messy weather day. School was cancelled so Julia and I confined ourselves to the house. She was upset not to be going to school because Friday is art day with Miss W - one of her favorite days of the week. I thought it would be best to give her some art activities to fill the Miss W void. Recently I discovered this great Crayola product called
Model Magic. It is easily manipulated and you can really make some amazing little sculptures with it. The best part is it is quite clean - no little bits break off and get ground into the rug. We rolled, blended, and played with it and generally had a fun time.


Today is the 50th birthday of Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat. We celebrated the crazy guy making some sculpture to bring to school next week along with a poster which Julia colorfully decorated with her favorite Sharpie markers.


Tomorrow we are going to surprise the librarians at Cushman Library with their very own poster too.


We've all been enjoying the movie version of Cat in the Hat this winter. I was skeptical, to say the least, but now I am so into it - the colors, THE CAT, the talking fish, slimy Alec Baldwin, and those two adorable kids and the colorful adventures they go on. The art direction of the picture is amazing - that is what sells a movie to me - beautiful , colorful, thoughtful art direction. This one has got it hands down.

Isn't it hard to imagine being a kid without The Cat? Thank you Theodor Geisel.

p.s. In Springfield, Massachusetts where Dr. Seuss was born, there is a
Seuss sculpture garden. Huge characters from the book were cast in bronze. Kids can climb all over them. What fun.

1 comment:

kate said...

I LOVE DR. Seuss books- I was the oldest of 6, so read them to my siblings....now- here I am reading them to grandchildren- I think I know many by heart- and kids still love them!
Going to get some Model Magic clay for grandkids and I?
Kristin- so many blogs have crochet stuff on them now- do you crochet? I am starting to learn- love the granny square and ripple afghans I have been seeing on blogs....

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...