Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lambs on the Loose

Slowly, we are moving the older lambs which were born in January up to our spring and summer grazing here at our farm. These lambs are large enough to leave their moms. Most of them were probably still nursing but it's time to give their mamas a break. The fences aren't quite set up correctly yet so they've been having a grand time exploring the neighborhood. Their freedom gig will be up soon - by tomorrow the fences should be controlling them, I hope.


My garden is starting to look green - by the end of this coming weekend everything should start popping. We had a lovely bit of rain last night and today is one of those moody grey and cloudy days that is perfect for pictures. My entryway pots will be filled with springtime pansies any day now.

The daffodils I planted a few years ago are out in full force. My dad loved daffodils and carried this poem - William Wordsworth's Daffodils - around in his wallet. I planted 400 daffodils and narcissus in his memory the November after he died. I can't help but think about Daddy everytime I look at them.

9 comments:

Willow said...

Now I understand the term 'on the lam' :)

Deborah said...

Love the speeding sheep (lambs). Quite the action shot!

mascanlon said...

What a beautiful daffodil and to have evoke such feelings is even better.

Vermont Designs said...

'tis the season - I was sitting outside with my daffodils quoting as much to myself as I remembered! (wasn't much). Now I will actually find the book and read the whole poem again....thanks.

Lindy said...

I had to laugh - the lambs are "on the lam (lamb?)".

Daffodils are my favorite flowers. Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem by Wordsworth.

Lindy in the Sonoran Desert of AZ where it is usually too hot for Daffodils)

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Loved the poem, it was new to me.

My own father planted hundreds of bulbs, all sorts, in the last few years before he died. He was only 40 when he passed, in 1973. Over 30 years ago...

Of all the types of bulbs he planted, the huge, standard yellow daffodils are the only ones still coming up. And they come up with vigor, in more than one location!

I posted a photo of those very flowers on my blog last week. The link is here, if yave the luxury to peek:

http://colorjoy.com/weblog/archives/4287

LynnH in Lansing, MI, where we had dandelions blooming today.

Susan B. Anderson said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad, Kristin. Lovely.

That is a crime that Verizon passed by your road. Hopefully your group can get that changed, very frustrating.

Hope you are well.
susan b anderson

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

A Daffodil garden in honor of your Dad, How wonderful! Enjoy them Kristen. Thanks for the lamb shots. I had to stop by for my fix.~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

bwilliams said...

Kristin, I was very touched by the daffodil story. My own dad love lily of the valley. For many years I had a lovely bed of them, but something happened and I lost all of them. This spring, a friend offered to give me a new start of nips, so in the next couple of weeks I will be re-establishing my lily of the valley bed. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...