Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TNNA Blur and Color by Kristin

I'm back from TNNA in Columbus, OH. Oh, what a whirlwind full of old friends, dinners, selling yarn, talking about my new book and basically having a good old time. The whole experience brings me back to the days when I worked for a yarn company. Those years were full of travel, trade shows - both exhibiting and visiting to buy yarn, very long days and many nice dinners. I really don't miss those days too much - except for the dinner part - that I do miss. I love to try food in many different countries of the world and the USA. This past weekend I got to share many meals with publishers, designers, and yarn companies and it was great fun.

I had a small section of the Nashua Handknits Booth to set up to display the projects from my new book Color by Kristin. All of the projects were incredibly well-received and I have high hopes for the book too. The staff at Sixth and Spring has done an incredible job putting together this book. I can't let on too much because I want it to be a surprise for knitters. One thing I can say is that besides over 25 projects, there is also a lot of technical information on knitting that is timeless.

There's been much discussion about the cover of the book as there always is. The publishers always try to pick the one that will be the most tempting to buyers. I think they have gotten it right. Here it is for all of you to see:


I think it is beautiful. It speaks to knitters - whether beginners or advanced knitters. It also challenges the reader to look inside to see what else is in the book. I do know the yarn stores loved it as did many of the other industry folks I visited with.

Now is the time that your local yarn store is ordering fall yarn. If your LYS doesn't have my Julia Yarn, please give them a little nudge. I did sell a lot of Julia to many new accounts but not all yarn stores travel to a show like this. Most shops see sales reps in their store and place their fall orders with them. Ask them to order my Julia Yarn so that you will be able to knit the projects in this new book.

I've got some more exciting news but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to let you in on that!

Many of you have asked if I will be selling signed copies of Color by Kristin on my website. The answer is "YES - I SURELY WILL!" Color by Kristin will not be available until early November so I hesitate to put it on my website now for purchasing. The website is set up so that you can purchase through PayPal. As you know, when you order, the money is taken out of your PayPal account. This would mean you would be prepaying for the book several months in advance and I think most people wouldn't want to do that. What do you think? Would you like to be first in line to buy a signed copy? Would you mind prepaying? Just wondering? If I have enough of interest, I will get it put up soon. I sincerely thank everyone who does purchase my books directly from me. Those sales help contribute to keep this little old farm running - animals and people fed, clothed and sheltered. Thanks so much!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome cover for the new book! I'm definitely looking forward to getting a copy (and a signed one is even better!).

If places like Amazon.com do pre-orders, no reason why you can't as well.

Unknown said...

P.S. I recently made a sweater for a co-worker's daughter, and I used the embroidery instructions from Kristin Knits, which were easy to follow. I made it bigger than needed so she could grow into it. Here's a link to some pictures of the little recipient: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephylewis/3491445984/in/photostream/

Kristi said...

Kristin, Paul and I were saying how wonderful it was to see you this weekend and have a few laughs. Your new book is obviously something to be quite proud of and a labor of love. We're really looking forward to carrying it. Take care.

Leslie said...

I'm with Cate - if Amazon can do pre-orders why can't you? And yours would be "signed by the author" no less - quite a distinction!

Cate - I love the sweater, she'll definitely be growing into it and that just gives more time for everybody to ohh and ahhh over it.

Tonia said...

Hi Kristin
You were busy selling yarn when we visited the booth on Sunday. I just love the new book-the projects are beautiful. Molli will be ordering more yarn in anticipation of the release of the book- all of the staff was really excited to see the projects. Great job
Tonia

Patricia said...

Yes Amazon does pre-orders as do local yarnstores, bookstores and whomever else buys items.

Don't forget Amazon doesn't have your autograph in their book.

Unknown said...

Hi Kristin, I was so sorry I missed you at TNNA. When I stopped by your booth you were busy with a customer, so I just admired your beautiful pieces and maybe we'll meet at another time. All the best,
Ellen

ellen said...

I wouldn't mind one bit prepaying for your wonderful book. I'd find the anticipation quite exciting.
"Good things come to all who wait".

The cover is gorgeous.

Deborah said...

I'm anxious for the new book. The cover is perfect. I know my LYS (where I teach) will be sure to get copies in! Waiting patiently for November...

mascanlon said...

Oh I will order from you for sure and wouldn't mind pre-ordering just to be one of the first to get my own signed copies.

Anonymous said...

The "R" in the word "COLOR" is lost in the background of your book cover. Just my 2 cents.

Carol said...

I'm in for my copy but I would probably like to pick it up in November with more lamb! We'll be heading through the area around then and our lamb is just starting to run out!

Lindy said...

Gorgeous cover! I will be purchasing this book to go with your others on my knitting shelf.

Lindy in AZ

kate said...

GREAT cover- I love it- makes me want to buy it and get busy creating!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your book! It looks beautiful!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...