Friday, September 04, 2009

Showers of Hearts

My youngest sister Jennifer is getting married in October. Weddings in our family have always been a big deal but since Jenn is the youngest, this one takes the cake for preparations.

Last weekend, Julia and I headed off for the shower that was supposed to be a surprise (but unfortunately wasn't much of one). It was a lovely day full of family, old friends and new friends. Julia's comment, while sitting right in front of Jenn while she opened every gift, was priceless. "Mommy, I want exactly this kind of wedding!" A girl can dream!

Jenn's friends were throwing the shower for her but Mom wanted to add that special touch. She decided that all the sisters and she should make little hearts stuffed full of lavender. We all said we would help. Mom ordered wool felt from Magic Cabin and stitched up the first heart. We all pitched in.


There were 70 guests expected. What a lot of stitching! If truth be told, I didn't have a lot of time to help (because of my big knitting weekend preparations). I did do a few of the hearts and contributed a hand-drawn hangtag. The night before the shower, we all sat around cutting and tying on the tags with leftover crewel wool.


Mom got the idea for the hearts from a project in my book Colorful Stitchery. Here's a photo of that project.


That project was quite a bit larger but the construction is the same. I originally used recycled wool blanket fabric for my XOX heart. You can find the instructions in my book Colorful Stitchery that is available in my shop.


The handmade hearts were the perfect touch for a lovely shower. Now onto all the wedding prep!

10 comments:

Susan B. Anderson said...

That's funny! I was looking at Colorful Stitchery yesterday. What a great book. Those hearts are fantastic, what a treat. That big bunch of hearts speaks volumes about how much your sister is loved by your family.

And Kristin, MIT is lucky to have you!!!!!

Hope you are well.
Susan B. Anderson

Carla said...

So nice- what does the paper heart say?

alison said...

Those hearts are beautiful and I can just imagine the sweet smell of lavender wafting from them...perfect for tucking into a drawer of woolens ...brilliant!

And about MIT...brava!!...I'm sure that they are as thrilled as you are!

Deborah said...

How pretty. That cake looks REALLY good! Best wishes to your sister.

mascanlon said...

Goodness, what a perfect idea for my daughters baby shower, I'd better enlist some help or getting stitching! I love your book btw!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

What a wonderful thoughtful idea. The hearts look wonderful! Best wishes to you, your sister and your family!

Willow said...

Lovely idea! I heart lavender and wool and stitchery!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was a wonderful idea. The hearts are great. I couldn't decide which color to take so I got a few! My sisters and mom put alot of time into this special day for me. I am a Very Lucky Girl to have them.

barb said...

What an incredible cake. I can't imagine. I have never done cake decorating.
The hearts.....what a colorful presentation.
Kristen, I am glad to hear that you find it normal to be completing the major details on the hearts, THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SHOWER! That sounds just like me.

GORGEOUS!

barb in MI

Alison said...

Oh, those hearts are so sweet!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...