Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chain Stitch Tutorial on a Heart Swatch

It's been a while since I've uploaded a video for you all. In honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day Celebration, I finally finished editing this little Chain Stitch Tutorial which shows a knitted heart being embroidered with Chain Stitch.



This little swatch was part of the prototype for the designing process that became The Many Hearts Baby Afghan from my book Color By Kristin. Here's the photo by John Gruen from the book. Our little kitten Annika Sue is asleep on the blanket on a doll bed.


Here's the blanket hanging on a fence outside our farmhouse. The blanket is made by knitting 9 separate hearts. They are then sewn together to form the center of the blanket. A circular needle is used to pick up all the stitches all the way around the four sides. The mitering at the corners causes the blanket to grow. I love this project and I've heard that many of you are making it. It's a great project for a knitting group to make together for a new mom and her baby. Each knitter can make a square. The blanket can be passed around and each member can make a few of the stripes.


You can order a signed copy of Color by Kristin here on my Shop Page.

11 comments:

Val said...

Very Nice tutorial...thanks!!!
(elder d "No Mum it's Wonderful")

Anonymous said...

Very cool, and nice to hear your voice.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just saw you on Knit and Crochet Today. Good Job!

Virginia G said...

I am really really glad you explained that was a doll bed. Honestly, I was looking at it and I was convinced you had the biggest cat EVER!

Love that blanket. It looks so cozy and lovely.

Sara in WI said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I think that I can go do this now! Your color sense just amazes me every day...

jamie said...

I am making my own version of this blanket, with mosaic colorwork technique used for the inner squares instead of intarsia. I am making it for Project Linus. I will share a photo of it on Amazon as soon as I am done with it. I am just so in love with your new book.

....I'm having a Kristin moment right now, listening to the 'Yarn Thing' podcast, and just learned that chartruse is your favorite color. Green is my daughter Joy's favorite color too! :)

jamie said...

oops! chartreuse. please forgive my spelling.

Turtle said...

very nice!

i had to smile when i saw you knitting socks on my tv this morning!

Zenitude said...

I have just purchased your Color by Kristin book and the timing of this tutorial is perfect!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Lovely blankie. Great model.

Carol said...

Great Tutorial. Good camera work, clear instructions and not too fast. You should do this for a living... oh wait... you do and we are glad! Seeing your knitted color works is like experiencing the work of the masters in a fine museum.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...