Thursday, April 22, 2010

Olympia Update

We've been trying to get Olympia assimilated into being a sheep. Look how big she has gotten!

She's still getting milk (similar to infant formula) from the bottle but it's almost time to withdraw that. She also eats grain and hay. Every morning, after sleeping with her doggie pals Phoebe and Ness, we move her out into the field to be with the newly arrived lambs. She isn't happy but she doesn't have much of a choice. Olympia spends her day picking at grass, longingly looking at us every time we go in and out of the house or drive up in the car.

In the evenings, we let her out of the fenced in field and she wanders around with us. It's a curious site here - 100 lambs in a fenced pasture and the humans, dogs and one little lamb outside the fence. Pretty soon, she'll be sleeping in the field with the rest of the sheep.

Last winter, we fenced in the pasture right outside our house using 4 foot woven wire. In the past, we have used the electronet fencing pretty exclusively to control the sheep. It did an okay job but the lambs had to be moved everyday and they often would escape, breaking through the fence, or finding a way out of the marginal fencing that came with our farm when we bought it. We often lost lambs to coyotes. That number was 36 lambs last year. We're hoping that that lamb loss number shrinks and this new fence will help us save lambs that we can then sell to our customers at the Farmer's Markets coming up this summer and fall. We'd rather feed neighbors who enjoy our local, healthy farm raised lamb than the coyotes.

18 comments:

Deborah said...

I don't know...I think Olympia looks like she's got a little bark in her. I can just see her sleeping with the doggies. She's adorable!

Gina said...

I love hearing about Olympia's adventures. She is so sweet. My kids love hearing about her too. She would make a wonderful main character in a children's book.

Molly said...

I always feels happy when I see her sweet little face.

Anonymous said...

Oh PLEASE tell me that Olympia will never be sold at the farmer's market!!! Just her wool?
She is so sweet, and I agree with Gina, she would be a perfect character in a children's book.I would buy it!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories about her. I certainly brightens my day!
Joyce

Diane H K in Greenfield said...

Good for you on the fencing upgrade. It will make a big difference.

Stefanie said...

What a funny little lamb. Did she have a difficult birth so that's why she was bottle fed? What happened to her mama?
Your grass looks so beautiful and springlike.

Anonymous said...

Does Olympia have any friends? It would be bad if she was considered an only child.
Seriously.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Also, another nice shot of Harrison Ford -- wait.. I meant your husband, the Farmer.

It could be the May picture.

Linda

angelina said...

beautiful little bahbah.
i cant wait to have sheep one day.....and spin!
xxx

Michele in Maine said...

Well, my vote is to keep Olympia as a pet. She's so adorable! Such a sweet face, even as she gets bigger.

I so enjoyed your recent interview with Alana. Great to finally put a voice and blog together!

dfs0716 said...

The picture of Olympia and the farmer is just priceless. Thank you for sharing! (I agree with the poster who mentioned it being a great book...I'd buy it, too!) :)

Elaine said...

Please keep Olympia as a pet!! Just imagine her modeling career as she becomes older. Julia could be her agent, The Farmer could be her agent, and you could be her dresser. Whatever you decide, just don't eat her. Wouldn't the income from wool be greater than meat anyway?
Elaine

Deborah said...

I love the photo of Olympia with the Farmer...she's saying, "I'm so not a sheep. I'm soooo not a sheep."

Elaine said...

Let Olympia always be a Pet!!

Amy S. said...

One other thing about that picture of Olympia with the Farmer. For some reason it puts me strongly in mind of the pictures of a sheep in "The Little Prince," when the prince tells the author, "Draw me a sheep!" It must be the pose, or the ears, or the expression on her face.
I agree, she's thinking, "I'm so not a sheep."

Loretta said...

I love the picture of The Farmer and Olympia. I have to agree with the other comments, Olympia could star in a children's book!

bookagent said...

Olympia is just too cute!! I can't imagine losing so many lambs to coyotes, that must be so frustrating. Hope the new fencing works wonders.

Lindy said...

What a terrific pic. of The Farmer and Olympia. I agree with other's comments - Olympia would make a great character for a children's book - might be something to think about.

I also must agree with Elaine - please let Olympia always be a pet.

Lindy

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...