Friday, June 18, 2010

The Icing on the Studio

It has been a really busy couple of days. Upon the arrival of the windows, Kevin and Rory got right on the job. By the end of the day, all the windows were in. I decided upon casement windows so that there would be good air-flow from side to side of the porch. I couldn't believe how fast they popped in and were all set. By the end of the day, the windows were done. In the photo below you can see the studio space with the windows and screens installed.


While Kevin and Rory installed windows, our electrician David Laprade and his lovely wife Marsha worked on the rough wiring. I was glad I was there all day long because sometimes you just can't anticipate all the questions. I think I will have enough lights and outlets. If anything, I overdid it but you just can't go back without it costing a fortune.

Yesterday, the roofers arrived. We chose to have a classic standing seam roof for this part of the house. I have always loved driving through Vermont and seeing all the pretty metal roofing treatments that have stood up for over a hundred years. I contracted with Walker and Company and am thrilled with the service and quality of their work. Check out their website - they have done some incredible roof treatments. I didn't know this until I linked the blog to their site. Wow.

Three roofers arrived in a big truck which acts as their on-site factory.


Two guys were on the roof all day long, taking measurements and shouting them out to the guy in the truck who was making the roof.


This is the metal roofing which arrives on a roll primed and painted. I ordered slate gray.


The guy in the "truck factory" feeds the metal through a slit in the van.


The metal is fed through a crimping machine that makes the standing seams.


The machine cuts the metal with a jagged looking tooth-like apparatus.


Then these pieces are put on the roof and folded over to almost make "flat-felled" seams similar to a sewing technique. These pieces are somehow attached to the drip edge which was applied first. It's a bit of a mystery to me because I didn't have the time to watch all day.


The whole process took less than a day. Amazing. Here is the roof on the backside of the building.


I love the way it looks! Just what I envisioned.

12 comments:

beth said...

Wow! The studio is coming along beautifully. I LOVE the roof!

Bridget said...

I love metal roofs and I've been enjoying vicariously renovating!

melcauble said...

I've really enjoyed watching your studio being put up. I feel like I'm there! Thanks for sharing and letting us enjoy with you!

Anonymous said...

It's going to be absolutely beautiful. You deserve it! I can't wait to see how you "finish" is off with your lovely, signature touch.

Ellen Kelley

Kar said...

The roof looks wonderful and the windows are great! Thanks for keeping us up with what is going on. Exciting!

taylorgirl6 said...

Those windows are beautiful. Good choice. I think we all envy your new addition!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at how fast the construction is going---additions like this used to take months in IL, but then with the recession, maybe they would go faster here too. Do you have stairs in the addition?

penny said...

i love the roof! it all looks really great.

knitterbeader said...

Being from the West Coast, I've never seen this type of metal roof - it's beautiful and comes in so many colors! Your windows are great too - bet you can hardly wait to get into your studio.

Zenitude said...

It looks so beautiful. You must be getting eager to claim it your own space!

mascanlon said...

Love the roof and it is already looking like its ready to move in...well almost!

Missouri Gal said...

Oh Wow! It looks great!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...