Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Porch Floor

Last Friday, my nieces Celia and Camille drove the Belletete's delivery truck on over and delivered the flooring (minus the Screamin' Pumpkin tile). I spent a lot of time angsting over my choice for the upstairs porch. Everyone told me to pick something that would not be damaged if water got on it. I listened because sometimes I go for aesthetics and make not the best choices (even if they are very pretty at first). My sister Nancy and I spent a stressful (for me) afternoon in the Belletete's showroom looking at all the choices. I was just overwhelmed with all that is out there to purchase.


What I really wanted was Vermont slate but just couldn't afford it right now. I chose an Armstrong cushion step vinyl that you lay down and don't glue. It sounded easy and practical (I can mop it easily not that I will). The pattern is called Amalfi and I chose the black color. It was quite reasonable for the look it gives and feels good on your barefeet when you walk on it. Kevin was here bright and early Monday morning to put it in. It went down so quickly I couldn't believe it.


After he left, I put one more coat of Spar Varnish on my fir beams but I had to use a drop cloth. I am a rather messy painter so I didn't want to ruin the brand new floor. I'm glad that is done because Spar Varnish stinks something awful.


My porch furniture has been under a blue tarp outside on the patio since the beginning of May. I untarped it all and gave it all a good bath. Here it is waiting to be moved in through the window which we didn't install. The furniture is way too big for any door in my house so this was our only choice. The cats are going to be very bummed because they love jumping out the open window opening.


It's getting closer to being done and I can envision every piece of furniture in its place and hosting lots of great dinners along with eating breakfast out there every morning. Fact of the matter is, we have been sitting on chairs at one of of portable farmer's markets tables for over a month now. It is an absolutely lovely space.

6 comments:

Virginia G said...

I'm so happy for you! It looks like an awesome space.

Sara in WI said...

It all sounds absolutely wonderful. I am sure that you all will enjoy it!

Whosyergurl said...

Kristin, How lovely! We chose a similar flooring for our bathroom when we remodeled. It went down in one piece and our thinking was that if/when we needed to take it up, it would be easy to do so.
Can't wait to see the finished project!
xo, Cheryl

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Wow, am I ever impressed that you got this done so quickly. Having just spent many, many aggravating months getting an on-farm studio built (and still have tons of odds and ends to be done),I think you and your relatives must have a magic wand. It looks wonderful-really like your lights and all those windows.

Eileen said...

It looks like it will be really lovely. Can't wait to see it finished.

Becky said...

Oh please, I hope I am invited to dinner!!! what a glorious room!
becky

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...