Monday, October 03, 2011

Getting Stitched on the Farm October 2011

Another weekend of color, knitting, and stitching fun.

 

Here's a secret. It was my birthday on Saturday and what did my family and I do to celebrate? We entertained a lovely group of knitters here at Leyden Glen Farm. What a wonderful bunch of enthusiastic knitters and artists! They all traveled here by plane (that's a first - everyone coming by plane - that impresses me because I don't fly much!) Two sisters out for a knitting weekend, one opera singer from the West Coast working to better her needle craft skills and enjoy the fall colors, and a seasoned knitter/teacher/yarn store employee the metro DC area. 

We had a great time getting to know each other....

 

learning about color......


eating nice food.....

 

learning new embroidery techniques.....


By the second day of the retreat, I could see everyone's skills with color growing. This group got so into the embroidery and color - making their own little pieces of stitched art on their 8 x 8 swatches. Only one of the students knew how to miter a corner so that became part of the agenda. By the time they left late in the day Sunday, their samplers looked like this.
And did I tell you, they all steeked! What they thought was terrifying, wasn't so bad after all. Smiles all around as they packed up their things and headed home. Come back again soon guys!


I'm hosting a private retreat this upcoming weekend with knitters from the Albany area. Should be more colorful fun. 

Don't forget the "play hooky from work" Day Before Rhinebeck Fair Isle and Steeking Day. For more information about that day, click here.


12 comments:

ChocolateandWoolens said...

Oooooh! I am jealous! I just moved to the Albany area. How was this group organized? I'm still trying to meet Knitters up here.

Sally said...

Happy Birthday, Kristin! Sounds like a lovely time. Many happy returns of the day!

Jennifer said...

Happy, happy birthday! We so hope you enjoyed a great day. It sure looks like you did. :) Hope this next year is just as fabulous!

Candylei said...

Happy belated birthday! May this be your best year yet and many more to come. That first picture with all of the mittens and stocking strung against the window is so sweet! And all those wonderful rich colors of yarn...!

Auntie Shan said...

Oooo! I'm sooo having a "I-*WANT*-that-STASH" Moment right now!! Love the Colours and those little Samplers!

BTW, **HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY**!!
:-D

elineof said...

Wish I was there!

Kate said...

Happy Birthday!

Turtle said...

so jealous of your weekend play... and upcoming rheinbeck!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! These fair isle swatches are beautiful!

sheepyhollow said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday wishes and many blessings! Can't think of a better way to spend the day...fiber & friends! :)

Elaine said...

Happy Birthday and Happy Fall!! I would love to dive in to those wonderful, colorful skeins of yarn. Everything always looks so great in your pictures.

Sara said...

Oh, I wish that I could come to one of your workshops/retreats. They look like so much fun! All of the wonderful colors make me drool!
Sara in WI

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...