Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Gorgeous Color at A Loom with A View

I'm back from Newburyport and teaching at A Loom With A View. What a great weekend. Great students, lovely store and location. I had not an extra moment to walk around Newburyport as I had to hop back into the car to return to my family and the farm. 

 

Here's Betsy, the owner of ALWAV (don't you love that play on one of my favorite movies of all time). The store was fully stocked with gorgeous wools, cottons, a needle selection that was immense and beautifully displayed including glove needles, Brittany hand-turned crochet hooks and all kinds of odd accessories. There is also a classroom full of beautiful handmade wooden looms and cones of colorful weaving yarns. If you ever get to the North Shore of Massachusetts, add A Loom with a View to your itinerary.

I didn't take photos of the finished samplers everyone made like I usually do. It was a busy day and we moved directly into lunch and then the second class. I want to share with you a project one of the students Louise brought with her. The homework for this class is to bring a plain stockinette stitch swatch. Louise brought that but then she wanted to share a new thing she was working on. Out of her bag came one of her old, but favorite sweaters which was sadly starting to fall apart. Louise owns all of my books and had been using inspiration from Colorful Stitchery, my embroidery book to transform her old sweater.

Louise with her sweater in progress and her fucshia glasses

Is this sweater just too much? She had the front done and was starting to work on the back. 

The back of Louise's sweater has just begun

Louise is a fan of Missoni couture clothing and loves color and any handwork. Don't you love this photo of the back of the coat with the needle hanging off the yoke? Here are some close-ups. Stunning! I hope Louise will send me a photo when she finishes it. Fabulous job Louise. Thanks for letting me share it with my readers.

More gorgeous embroidery

A flower made entirely of french knots

Louise did this the morning of the class

A close-up of some of the embroidery

Thanks to all who came out. Great day with you all.

A quick shout-out to Jaala and Amy of the Knit Circus Podcast. Thanks so much for mentioning my recent books Color by Kristin and Kristin Knits in their Show #11. How fun to be listening about Jaala and Amy's favorite books and then to hear mine mentioned. Check out their podcast. They are fun to listen to and laugh a lot.

4 comments:

Auntie Shan said...

So, *besides* getting to meet You and perhaps getting Her Book "autographed" [a thrill no doubt, why wouldn't it be], Louise "needed" to take a Class, because..???

Great WORK!!

ellen said...

Oh, genius and beautiful sweater repair.
How I wish I could take one of your classes. I just know it would be wonderful.

RaNae @ Ewe Creek Cottage said...

What a brilliant and cute update for that sweater

Cinderellen said...

OMG - Louise's Sweater! Just fabulous.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...