Friday, January 25, 2013

Inspiration and a New Recipe

I just received the most beautiful book - Mark Hearld: Workbook - about the work of British artist Mark Hearld. I first heard about him via my favorte magazine the British World of Interiors. I think his house may have been featured at one point. 


Lately, I have been hearing a lot about him as he has been designing fabric for St. Jude's in the UK. 


When I saw Mark had a book coming out, I was hoping it would be available in the US. Miraculously it is and I didn't have to pay a zillion dollars for postage. 


Mark's work is a combination of printmaking, collage, lino cutting, lettering and painting. The book details his inspiration and includes photos of work by artists who inspire him. It is a gorgeous book and I can't wait to spend hours and hours with the book. I've been savoring every page. 


You can watch a short film about Mark Hearld here. He illustrated a stunning book for children called Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature which I gifted to a little friend of ours for Christmas. (It was all I could do but not keep it.)
 
 

I am about to embark on a rather huge project of my own which will take up the better part of this year. I am in need of inspiration and this book is helping to inspire me.


I've found some other inspiration in the form of some new podcasts. I can listen to podcasts and when I'm doing mindless knitting, they make good company. This week I have been listening to Good Life Project which I found via Artist Lisa Congdon's blog. Although these are video interviews, there is a feature you can listen if you don't do streaming video (that would be me!). Last week I listened to audio interviews on Smart, Creative Women with Monica Lee. These are really good too! If you like to listen, are interested in art and making and building a business, check them out.

I developed a new recipe for my lamb customers and I thought I would share it here too. It is called Indian Spiced Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce. Very easy and very tasty! If we were going to a Superbowl Party I would take it. We aren't - we are taking care of new lambs! Find the recipe here.


I'll pop in over the weekend with a lamb photo or two. Stop back for your cuteness fix!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I tried your leg of lamb recipe for Christmas and it was delicious. The only thing I was able to find was a boneless leg of lamb, but it still came out great. We will be having lamb again. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

OH yes, Mark Hearld! I LOVE his work, too. I think I posted that video a while back on my blog. Looking forward to hearing what your big project is. This week I've been soaking up Kaffe Fassett's new book. YUM!
I will check out Lisa Congdon's link, and her blog, thanks for the tip.
That recipe sounds great. I wish you sold your lamb on the west coast, will have to find a good place to buy it here! :-)

Elaine said...

Thanks, Kristin. I just ordered the book!
Talk about cuteness--look up Shetland Ponies in Sweaters. Great ad put out by Shetland tourism board.

Anonymous said...

~ wow, SUPER WoW ~ Kristin !!
Thank you for posting of such great ART inspiration, most especially in the icy cold Winter days, how nice to see a terrific artists view.
I'm also inspired with using two of your COLOR knitting books with several knitting students who are making mittens we will then embroider.
~ How blessed we are for artists, color & nature ~
.....and the sheep & lambs, too dear for words.
Best,
Shell ~

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...