Friday, February 08, 2013

Waiting for Snow


We're expecting a lot of snow and high winds here in western Massachusetts tonight. I have brought in several loads of wood for our furnace and woodstove. We've got food and we're ready if the lights go out. Let's hope they don't but you never know. Most activities around here have been cancelled. I was out on the road earlier today and it seemed like everyone was home. Many businesses were already closed - even though the snow didn't start here until late afternoon.


We just came back from the sheep barns which are 5 miles from our farmhouse. Nessie put all the ewes and lambs in for the night and The Farmer and I fed the bottle lambs. 


The Governor has closed all the roads and says only essential vehicles can be on the road. Wondering if going to feed sheep and lambs makes our truck an essential vehicle? 


The yearling ewes are out in pastures without sheds and they will just stay still and wait the storm out. We'll make a trail tomorrow so they can get to their hay.


Winston has a bed in a shed but he will probably be up all night barking at whatever lurks in the wild. 


I will be happy when it is over and the sun comes back out. I'll try to pop back in sometime with snow photos. In the meantime, if you are looking for some color this weekend, check out the post over on the Classic Elite Yarns blog. If you are where it is storming, this is a great opportunity to do some colorful knitting. Stay warm everyone!

14 comments:

Sandra said...

I hope everyone weathers the storm well.

Auntie Shan said...

I just came in around 6pm after shovelling for nearly 3 hours... Despite the 6+ inches [over twice that in drifts], Ottawa still got LUCKY and is just skirting the north edge of the [western] System! Looks like that North wind we've had since yesterday is keeping the bulk of the NASTY stuff at bay. So far. kinda...

Anyway, the snow here was DRY and very fine/powdery... but starts to pack when the temps begin rising. It's also drifting - a lot!

Whatever, hope your snow stays "drier" too with less wind. And, that you *miss* the rain! KEEP *WARM*!! And, snuggly *HUGS* all around!!
:-D

Patience said...

I think you're in the clear with travel to care for animals. The order does state:

All motorists MUST be off the roads except

for public safety and public works workers
government officials conducting official business
utility workers
healthcare workers who must travel to provide essential services
news media

Travel also is allowed if necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies and delivery, financial systems and the delivery of critical commodities, or to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gasoline stations, food stores and hardware stores. Motorists must use their best judgment in determining if travel is permitted under an exception to the ban. Law enforcement is being asked to interpret the exceptions broadly; the objective is to limit traffic as much as possible while allowing critical public and private sector services and functions to use the roads as necessary.

One of the news stations was reporting it was to 1. keep roads clear for plows and 2. keep people from playing disaster tourist. If you're found driving in the storm for no good reason, then they'll ticket.

The wind is shaking the house enough to gently rattle the swift.

Kristin Nicholas said...

Thank you Patience - I can sleep easier now that we know the rules!

The snow is deep enough now that if I open the door, we are pushing snow. We shall see what happens overnight but luckily I will be sleeping and be surprised in the a.m.!

I must admit - I love the snow and what happens visually when it comes down in large amounts!

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Best of luck to you and your family and the critters there at the farm! We only got 6 inches here, but it did drift quite a bit. I'm hoping to stay home and watch your Color Wheel video ;D

Anonymous said...

Wishing you good luck with the storm. Sometimes I miss those blizzards of my youth since I've lived in a milder climate for more than 50 years.
Take care.

PatB

Judy said...

Blizzard and no power since 8:00 last night! Woodstove still works though, thankfully, warmth helps. Hope you enjoy natures photo op as this winds down.

Nancy said...

We live in Minnesota. Have our youngest in Boston. As soon as we heard about the storm, I thought of you & the lambs. Hope all is well. You're in our thoughts & prayers..

MicheleinMaine said...

Best of luck to you and the sheep! Hope everyone weathers Nemo ok.

sally said...

Here in the south, we're awaiting 5-7 inches of rain...with potatoes planted and imminent goat-kidding, we're wishing that could be spread out over a few weeks rather than days!
Best of luck in all that snow (we wouldn't even know where to begin with all of that, lol!)...I REALLY enjoy your blog!

Robin said...

I hope that everyone in the Northeast is warm and safe.

I watched the promo for Kristin's color class for CreativeBug. It made me laugh when the two cats decided to join the class.

Julie said...

I get your posts through e-mail, and I just wanted to tell you that I have been enjoying your posts on your sheep immensely. I just love the pictures and stories. Those lambs are so sweet. It just makes my day when I can see those sweet faces. Julie

Lyn said...

Good luck it sounds like you are well prepared. X

shabby girl said...

I sure hope you came through the storm easily! Once the snow melts, it creates more problems, I'm sure.


Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...