Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thoughts for the Day

Last night I met my mom halfway from here to NJ to drop Julia off for a visit with her grandma. Julia has not been away from home very much at all. She is a homebody just like The Farmer and I were. She feels safe with her grandma and there is lots of activity around Mom's house with cousins and two of my sisters close by. She will have a great busy time.

As I drove home from CT, I listened to the updates about the horrible day on Monday in Boston. I am very saddened and I am sure all of you are feeling the same. We frequently walk on Boylston Street, go to the Boston Public Library and generally love the city that we consider our city here in New England. My heart goes out to the families, the marathoners, the doctors and nurses who are caring for all the injured.

When Julia was born and then for 2 years after, we spent a lot of time at Tufts Medical Center which is right in the heart of Chinatown in Boston. The care there is phenomenal - as at all the Boston hospitals. But no matter what, spending time with a sick child or parent at a hospital is not pleasant. The only way for me to make the visits bearable was to bring my knitting with me. It didn't matter what I was knitting - as long as I had something in my hands to calm and soothe me.

As Spring comes in North America, I know so many knitters and crafters turn to their gardens and other outside activities for their creative outlet. I do too although there is always something on the needles. I assume that many of you were knitting during the rehash of the news on Monday and Tuesday and for hours after that. What do you do to calm yourself? Do you turn to a craft or your needles? Do you cook? Do you go to church? Do you take a walk or a run?

 
A few years ago I heard a big time blogger say that her blog was her "happy place." I too feel that way. Things are not always going well here but I keep it upbeat and positive because I think people come here for that. 
 
 
 
So today I am sharing some more lamb photos because looking at a sweet little lamb makes everyone smile.

15 comments:

Jo said...

Awww! It seemed that today's lamb pictures were especially cute. Thank you for posting them.

I just finished an article detailing how acts of terrorism have actually declined since the '70's. doesn't matter--they always put us off balance. It's almost impossible to understand why anyone would want to kill randomly, to attempt to undermine everyone's sense of security and decency. i feel for the person(s) with such a cancer in their heart.

Finally, what a treat a few days with grandma is --for everyone. Enjoy!

Molly said...

Thanks for the smiles. I made the last picture my computer wallpaper and will look at it when I need to go to my "happy place."

Jean said...

Love the photos of the baby lambs. They make me smile. I just want to cuddle with them.

Thanks alot!

Auntie Shan said...

I don't Cook. I don't Garden. -- The Colours and Textures of YARN is my Year LONG *PASSION* and "HAPPY PLACE"!! -- [and of course, YOUR Blog!!]

Whenever I know that I have to be someplace where "waiting" is involved and my "attention" is not needed, I always bring along my *HOOK* [& sometimes NEEDLES] and YARN! -- I get a lot of my "Washcloths" Inventory done that way...

oh. look, Kids! An "APP" that does NOT require "Batteries"!!

;-D

sally said...

Thank you, Kristin.

Ruit Farm North said...

I have spent a lot of time in the last few days out with our lambs. It's balm for the soul, all that bouncy new life!

Gail in Vegas said...

Thank you for posting these wonderful photos! Your photos cheer me and make the world seen a little better, especially when awful things happen.

Sally Dean said...

I sit in my kitchen corner and paint. My daily gratitude blog for 2013 challenges me to focus on the positive.Theres always something to be grateful for. Finding your wonderful blog is one of them!

Unknown said...

yes, kristin, i am one of those retirees who is glued to the tv coverage after a tragedy, but always have my 'sticks & string' in my hands... i cannot fathom why people do what they do to harm other innocents... but i am so proud of our American spirit of helping others in need... i am so happy that you choose to lift the spirits of your blog followers with your lamb pics... they are a joy to the soul...
^)^ linda

Helen Hart said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog and filling our lives with color. Julia has a wonderful mother and you are a wonderful wife and "mother" to the lambs. God Bless you and yours and time only heals part.

cockney blonde said...

Oh your little lambs are adorable expecially the last little chap who seems to be smiling. As you say they really do cheer you up, x

Cathy said...

I grab my needles when I need calm. Sometimes...many times I can barely see what I'm knitting because of tears, but the rhythm of knitting helps soothe me. Then I check your blog for lamb pictures! You're right! Those dear lambs take me to a happy place.

Pammie said...

Thank you for your post, Kristin. I love your blog. There are many things that help me feel centered and calm, and knitting is one of them. In fact, I've started bringing my knitting basket in my car just so it's there when I have an opportunity between work appointments during the day to knit a few rows on a project. Heavenly !

Mrs. H said...

The baby lambs do indeed make me smile. I especially like the storybook ones of them jumping around and playing. Thanks for sharing them often.

Red Hawk said...

Ah.......... Love the lamb pics. If the baaaa on the bottom lamb was translated into English, we would hear HI!

I tend to knit to soothe the mind. I used to do more gardening or outside chores, but the bod rejects that course these days.

I live in Oklahoma and April 19, 1995 was the day of the Murrah bombing in OKC (the Federal Building). I am saddened as well as maddened by such atrocious and cowardly acts. We are all thinking of those in Boston who have been personally touched by this horrid incident.

The "Race to Remember" (a.k.a. the OKC Marathon) will be run on April 28th. This race is held to remember the 168 people who lost their lives on that Patriot's Day. Banners with the pictures of all those lost line the race route. The race is totally run by volunteers and no prize money is given. The proceeds are the major support for the Memorial (something worth seeing) and the Museum. This race will have more than 20,000 participants. We will remember ours as well as those who felt the wrath on April 15 in Bosotn. Godspeed.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...