Thursday, June 13, 2013

Something to the Rescue...


I've been in a bit of a funk here. So much to do and don't know where to turn first. On top of it all, the family has been sick. It's hard to get much done but I am trying. Our yard and garden is in such a giant state of disrepair and needs so much attention that it makes my head spin. 

I decided I needed a little inspiration in the gardening department and headed off to my favorite plant source Walker Farm in Dummerston, VT. It poured the entire time I was there. It has been doing a lot of that - pouring down buckets of rain - lately. We need the water but day after day, slogging around in the mud and muck, it gets to be too much. Good thing I replaced my holey boots. With these.....



They are pretty great although The Farmer says they are useless because they aren't high enough to be walking through the tall grass. Maybe I need another different pair. I have never liked the Muck Boots brand because my feet get too hot.  (The Farmer on the other hand lives in this brand of boot, mostly the ones up to his knees because he is always walking through high grass.)  The MUCK BOOT people have just developed a  "cooling" element and it seems to work. So far, my feet are comfy but a bit squished. I have wide feet and there is no wide size. This is the pair I have. I'll have to alternate these with some other garden clogs I have this summer. But for shear foot support, walking through the fields, climbing through ditches and muck and running water, these are great. Need to be a little higher for some of the puddles around here. 

At Walker Farm, I became inspired. Thank goodness because I need some gardening mojo. I fell in love with these petunias....

 

They speak my color sense, don't they - all those complimentary colors and striping. I brought some home. They are called Black Velvet, Supertunia Pretty Much Picasso and Supertunia Picasso in Pink. I never used to plant petunias. I remember Daddy spending hours deadheading the yellow petunias he always grew. The folks at WF told me petunias aren't like that anymore. Last year I planted the Wave petunias in my "welcome pots" and I loved them. We'll see how we do with these this year.  

It's funny how your taste in flowers and plants changes over a lifetime of gardening, isn't it?

Walker Farm is a gorgeous place. This year they have their perennials sorted by color on these great painted display tables. The signs at the end of the tables are made of kids fun foam. How clever. They should last the season and they are so colorful.

 

Here's their pot shed....

 

What an artistic colorful presentation......


If only I had a million dollars for all those gorgeous glazed pots and a place to store them in the winter and someone to help me put them away! 
 

If you are near Dummerston, VT (close to Brattleboro and Putney - home to Green Mountain Spinnery), make sure you check out Walker Farm.

I just decided to take a trip next week to Columbus to the annual TNNA show. Haven't been to this industry trade show in years. Won't be there for too long but should be fun to meet the yarn stores that carry my yarn. Had to make some business cards. Been a while since I had any of them. Gave me a chance to brush up on my Photoshop skills. Here's what I came up with although in RGB (computer screen mode) they look all neony and psychedelic. In CMYK (printer's mode) they are much calmer.


Hope they arrive in time.  Speaking of psychedelic, there is a great show now on at Smith College Museum of Art called the Summer of Love - Psychodelic Posters. Check it out if you are local.

This post from Niamh is awesome. Does anyone make Blaaa?

Found this recipe for Honey Miso Noodle Salad which I used to be addicted to when ChaChaCha was in Northampton when Julia was a little one on my hip. Must try this weekend. 

14 comments:

MicheleinMaine said...

The rain makes everything harder, doesn't it? Especially for you all on the farm. Today it's sunny here, and my head's a little clearer.

Love your new biz cards! And your boots! I got some great wellies from Boden at the end of the winter for only $17! Probably not sturdy enough for real work though.

Have fun at TNNA! Have really enjoyed the lamb I bought from you at the Webs sale - koftas -delish!!

Bonnie said...

Thank you for posting those pictures! I love the glazed pots. I've also been surprised at how my plant tastes are changing. Two years ago, I bought some begonias. I never liked begonias before, but...

I also have some supertunias this year, and they're doing really well!

Cinderellen said...

Inspiring colors, and so much to your taste! I'm getting tired of rain here on the Cape, but drawing as we do on a single aquifer I get anxious when the rains do not come. No pleasing me.

sandi said...

I'm so glad you're coming to TNNA. It will be great to see you. I'll be in the Kollage Yarns booth - come find me.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Glad the petunias are getting you out of the funk! Amazing colors. We had a lingering flu/cold/fever thing that worked its way through the household for 3 weeks, and it left each victim kind of depressed for the duration (weird but true). Hopefully the rains will stops soon and everything will seem more manageable. Have a great time at TNNA! Kinda wish I was going...

Savannagal said...

Those are some of my favorite petunias. I love fuscia and lime green. Two of my favorite colors. Loved the Blaaa article too. I'm going to try that recipe. I really want to learn how to make breads.

Lynn said...

Oh, I might have to go to that nursery one of these days! Have you ever been to Andrew's Greenhouse in South Amherst? They do a stunning job arranging their flowering and foliage annuals in their big greenhouse to make visual displays - I think you would swoon.

Anonymous said...

I have crazy-wide feet too. (I wear size 8 1/2 EE shoes.) I am retired now and only wear Birkenstocks and New Balance walking shoes, but when I worked and had to wear pumps, it was almost impossible to find cute shoes. In my next life, I will have long, skinny feet and will be able to buy my shoes at Payless.

Auntie Shan said...

yeah, I was "noticing" your rain... We've had it on & off here at all of the *wrong* times when we *need* to be going somewhere! Like last week, just when my Mom had to go in for a scheduled "overnight" surgery. And, having to drive in it on 4 out 48 hours of sleep isn't helpful either! But luckily my sister from out-of-town was still around to "cover" for that 1st night. Then, here's me "Ms.-SO-*not*-the-DOMESTIC-Type" playing "nurse" to Mom and "babysitter" to Dad and attempting to generally be "HAZEL"! -- Have I mentioned the part about NOT being a "Cook"..?

Seriously, I really don't know HOW you *do* IT! -- And no lie, when I've been starting to "hit that wall", I really do THINK of *YOU* for "Inspiration"! Especially, since I haven't had time to even go *near* my YARN! Which, is also NOT good for my WALLET! -- Mom was feeling *much* better yesterday, for just long enough for me to leave the house [in days!] to run errands & groceries & to check out the new expanded Yarn section at my local Michael's... I literally just stood before the WALL-OF-WOOL "therapeutically" absorbing the COLOURS for *MANY* Minutes!! It worked. As did, the 3-digit-after-coupons-and-Taxes PURCHASE of several of those woolly "bricks"! :-D

Anyhoo.. HOPE Everyone is on the mend and that you can get some "DRY" into your lives!! And, ENJOY your little "ESCAPE"! Have FUN!

*HUGS* to The GANG!
:-D

Lee said...

I would love to see you at TNNA! Do you know when you will be in the CE booth?

Kristin Nicholas said...

Lee - I'll be at the CEY booth all day on Saturday. May be there a smidge on Sunday but no promises. That's the day I need to walk the show.

Kristin

Lee said...

I'll look for you there!

amy s. said...

How close are you to Dummerston? I used to go to camp in West Dummerston--I didn't realize you were so far north. I love the covered bridges.

Karen at Struan Farm said...

You need to check out "Boonies," which are a boot sold in NZ. Two different heights, some interesting design/color options but they aren't too non-farm. The best thing is they're rubber on the bottom but the top is neophrene. Really comfortable but not too hot or cold....

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...