Thursday, September 12, 2013

Harvard Square Baby Meets Kate

Years ago, I designed a sweater for the book I co-authored with Melanie Falick Knitting For Baby. (Great book - still in print!) We called it Harvard Square thinking that the kids who would wear the sweater would end up at Harvard. The sweater is on the cover of the paperback version of the book. Remember it? Really sweet and fun to knit.


I heard from many people that they would like to make the sweater for large bodies, i.e. themselves. It took a few years (okay, over a decade) but this past winter, I re-worked the design in my Color By Kristin Yarn and loosened up the gauge. Here it is....


The pattern is now available through your LYS, Ravelry or from Classic Elite. It is in Color By Kristin Book Five. The sweater is called Kate, not Harvard Square for Adults! Here are the finished measurements:
36 (39, 42½, 47½, 51, 54)” - I went a little math crazy. It is a drop sleeve so easy for beginners.

I used the following shades of Color by Kristin: Deep Blue Sea, Yarrow, Geranium, October Leaves and Espresso.


The color combinations are endless! I swatched up 3 versions and this is the one CEY wanted. Wish I could find the other swatches to share with you. 


NOTE: It is a bit short and cropped so for those of you who want to cover your belly, you will have to add some length. If you are worried about looking FFFFAAAATTTTT (I know you!) use stripes made of darker colors that are of similar color value to make the stripe pattern more subtle and less horizontal. What I mean is replace the Yarrow and the October Leaves which are the lighter colors with darker shades. Get it?  

Hop on over to Ravelry to favorite it if you do that kind of thing.

No comments:

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...