Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Local Wooly, Yarny, Colorful Friends

My friend Gail Callahan sent a really great newsletter this week about the visual appearance of skeins of hand-dyed yarn. If you are a fan of hand-dyes, you should read it - you will learn something about how the appearance of a skein can trick you into thinking that the yarn will knit differently than it appears. Make sure you read to the end because there is a lovely example of her student's work from a dye class knit in Fair Isle. Here's the link. While you are there, subscribe to the newsletter. Gail sends very nice (mostly) weekly newsletters on Sunday evenings. 

Gail goes by the yarn name of The Kangaroo Dyer. She is also the Author of the best-selling Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece. She is also the developer of the color tool called The Color Grid. Gail is an incredibly talented colorist and is one of the nicest people on the planet. I count myself lucky to have her as a friend.

Gail hosted Julia and I back before the holidays for a fun afternoon of dyeing. I had a bunch of felted wool and old sweaters I needed colored for Christmas projects.  Here are the colors we dyed in her washing machine after the excess water was spun out.

 

Here Julia and I are in Gail's awesome dye studio after dyeing a bunch of wool felt.


Gail also helped Julia dye a couple scarves which she has had fun wearing to school on Tuesdays which is Scarf Day. She has it on in the picture above. Thanks to Gail for a fun afternoon. 

Thank you everyone for the orders for the Craftsy Crewel Yarn and fabrics to accompany the new on-line Crewel Embroidery class. You can check it out here or on the link on my sidebar. My studio is such a mess and now I've added cutting fabric and packing crewel wool. Order is needed and I am going to have to develop a system. I'm in the midst of 3 different projects that I am working to bring out. It is good to be busy but sometimes hard to complete one task. Maybe tomorrow! 

1 comment:

Lizy Tish said...

VERY interesting newsletter from the Kangaroo Dyer! So cool to learn about the process. Signed up for her future newsletters!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...