Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March Is Here

The temperature is 47 degrees today and it is starting to feel like spring is actually coming someday. They say we will have snow again this weekend. We will see. The snow and ice is still on the roof and one day it will come whooshing down and I hope I am not underneath it when it happens. 

Below are some photos of the lambs and the sheep that I took recently. The lambs are really growing. The lambs that were born earlier are much larger than the later lambs. This year we used rams in the following breeds: Dorset, Polypay, Dorper, and Cheviot. If you look at their faces, you will notice that different breeds have different faces and different body conformation too.

If the temperatures keep rising, we will soon be thick into mud season. It is going to be a whopper considering how much snow has to melt. If there is a time to go away from the farm - this would be my choice. Muck, mud, brown everywhere!

At the end of this series of photos, I have included a beautiful video I found recently by photographer Ian Lawson. He documents sheep, shepherds and farmers in the Lake District of England. Spectacular scenery and colors. Enjoy everyone!
















6 comments:

Michele in Maine said...

Everyone looks so adorable and healthy!

Sheep Farm adventures of a Shepherdess said...

I love all lambs but it is funny how the once of us who raise them can tell the different breeds and even whose lambs whose and what seems so obvious to us is not to other people. We raise Dorset, N.C. Cheviot, and a few Hampshire. White face sheep are not popular here and we have had trouble in the market place. Do you have the same trouble or are they more command on the East Coast?

Auntie Shan said...

It got to that temp up here too today, but with a breeze... Which, is a GOOD THING - as it *evaporates* the snow rather than letting it just MELT! Mind you, my lowest lawn coverage is still 2 feet thick! But that snowbank GLACIER does appear to be shrinking... a bit.. So long as I can keep ahead of the BAILING, I'll be happy!
-- You know, NOW is the time to start putting the waterdrums under the dripping icicles for later use in the drier season.

Cinderellen said...

I have yet to see a single blade of grass in my yard; I can only trust that my garlic is growing somewhere under there.

Beautiful sheep photos!

Vermont Grand View Farm said...

Oh my! so many lambs!!! and all cute!

matkailijakirppu said...

It is such a joy to look at these happy animals! :)

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...