A couple weeks ago I introduced a new project I have begun. A couple years ago I purchased a chair at a junk store. It has sat idle in my studio. I am going to make a slipcover for it.
I thought it would be fun to print the fabric and then embroider on top of the printing. I decided upon a simple oval and circle design. The graphic shapes make for a nice base for stitching.
First I tested out the paints on my orange linen. I used Jacquard's Neopaque Series which work quite nice. I used the Versatex Fixer too so that I won't have to heat set my fabric.
Here are my test splotches.
I decided to use the hot pink and the red colors. I purchased the small 2 oz. jars and there is plenty of paint to get me through the project.
I planned out the repeat and drew lines with my favorite light blue removable fabric markers using a graphed quilting ruler as my guide.
Using the pattern that I made following the Craftsy Slipcovering Class, I stitched a line on the fabric so that I would know how much area to print.
The printing went really quick. Next to start the stitching.
You can follow along with my progress on my Instagram feed.