Monday, April 25, 2016

Putting the Sheep In

Every morning, the sheep and lambs get let out of their winter barnyard to go graze a smallish pasture and woodland. They pick at the grass which hasn't really grown yet and also are supplemented with hay from last year. 

In the evening, the sheep and lambs need to be put back into the barnyard to protect them from the coyotes. They are safer close to the barns. These are some photos I took of them returning to the barns. Julia was away visiting her grandma so I took the opportunity to help Kate and Mark "put the sheep up." It was a beautiful evening at dusk after a nice warm day. It was nice to see that Kate is really improving her herding skills. The best thing is the sheep react and move for her. By the end of this coming summer, she will be a real pro. 

It won't be long until the grass greens up and the leaves come out on the trees. The sheep and lambs will be split up into different groups and go out to graze in various pastures near and far. Another growing season begins. The portable fencing will be moved and moved and moved. Mark will begin haying and harvesting and farming continues for another year. 

Enjoy the photos. 

















9 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Nice!

Laurie Lasala-Tuttle said...

I love that so many of your photos are very different from where I live!Thanks for sharing! ~ Laurie

Laurie Lasala-Tuttle said...

I love that so many of your photos are very different from where I live!Thanks for sharing! ~ Laurie

Anonymous said...

I always love your farm photos. They all, dog and sheep, know what to do. When I started following your blog, I came for the knitting and color, but I think I've stayed as much for the sheep!

Thanks for sharing.

annie

annie said...

PS- and those kittens at the top!

annie

Michele in Maine said...

They look so funny all newly shorn! And what a wonderful life they have on your farm. Great pictures, as always! Spring is definitely coming, but it's pretty cold in Maine today - 34 as I write this!

Vermont Grand View Farm said...

It is so great to hear that Kate has stepped up to the plate and is really finding her way.

Anonymous said...

Do enjoy following your farm life through your blog and photos. Amazing to me is how you can move a group of sheep and lambs at one time.
Sharon themadknitter

LannieK said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing :-)

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...