Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Pottery Shed Exterior Decoration

When Kevin fixed up the old garden shed to become my new pottery throwing studio, I had him replace 3 rickety windows with my old kitchen window that he had just also replaced. The old kitchen window was single paned and just above my sink. It had begun to rot and I couldn't even close it tightly anymore. It still had a bit of use left in it though so in it went. 



Because the window took up less room than the 3 windows, he filled the space with some plywood. I had to think of something to do with the two areas of un-aged raw plywood. I took inspiration from Maud Lewis' folk art inspired exterior paintings of her home in Nova Scotia. You can watch a short film about her here

I had never painted decoratively on plywood before this summer. It has a rough crinkly texture so it is hard to work like I usually do on flat smooth surfaces like pottery or paper. I decided to just go for it and see what happened. 

First I primed the plywood with basic white. I decided to paint flowers in pottery jugs because I'll be making vases inside the little building. Someday - when all this other work gets done. 

Here's a progression of the first vase with flowers. 






Then I had an accident with some green paint by getting off the ladder without closing the lid on the paint. Big oops. I will have to try to match the color of the shed - which won't be easy. It is stained and it is aged. I'll give it a try though. For the final photos, I can always stick a giant sunflower in front of the oops. 





This is what it looked like after Day One. I like how the blue background color worked - I left some of the white primer showing through - going with the texture of the plywood. 




On Day Two, I had more confidence in what I was doing - standing on the third step of the ladder flinging paint on. I had to hurry because it was late in the day so I didn't take any process photos. Here's the second painting. My sister Laurie thought they were shutters so maybe that is what I will call them. 



I had to hurry to finish before the sun went down. Here are 4 process photos of decorating the vases and then lining the flowers to make them pop. 






Here's the finished look with the giant oops that I will have to do something about. 


I am happy the way it is shaping up. Now to plant a little sunflower garden below the windows now that I don't need to have the ladder in there anymore. 

10 comments:

Monica said...

Gorgeous! Even with the "oops" ;)

Robin said...

That is super cool!!!

Auntie Shan said...

*COOL*!! LOVE IT! :-D

As for the "oops", maybe not so much. Luckily, it's confined to one plank. Suggest you do the rest of said plank it whatever "oops" colour is left [or darker] and use it as background for either your signature or some OTHER art to come up from the groundline... Or, falling petals, or stacking cups [since it is the pottery shed]. OR, put a "tabletop" under both vases, incorporate the bottom windowsill in THAT colour and make table LEGS running down BOTH sides..?
Whatever. Just get funky with it! - Besides, in 20 years from now, Julia will likely be using those weathered painted boards to make "retro-recycle" furniture anyway!
;-}

Sally said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!

4cats said...

If you make several more "oops" streaks in different colors, they'll become a design element, not mistakes.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I think the oops is an opportunity - good ideas above, or maybe a long stemmed sunflower?

Menina Rosa Store said...

Ficou perfeito!!!
Amei!

Beijo no seu coração! :D

carol said...

So pretty as is all your stuff!
Carol

beth said...

I love what you've done to the shutters. I'm also very grateful that you introduced me to Maud Lewis! I ordered the book about her, The Illuminated Life of Maud Lewis, and I'm looking forward to watching the video.

I sew, quilt, knit, and garden. My last experience painting was terrible. A friend, who was trying to help me with watercolors, commented rather dubiously, "Is that what you MEANT to do?" I felt pretty discouraged and put the paints away.

I feel so encouraged to start painting again. Thanks for the inspiration!

JanetD said...

so lovely -- you are tremendously creative and talented!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...