Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Fabric Printing + Lampshade Creative Retreat Wrap-Up

I have finally recovered from my big week last week and weekend. Between the cleaning of the house and studio, the New England Weaver's Seminar tour here at the farmhouse on Thursday (I didn't realize I had chairs for 22 people) and the Creative Retreat this past weekend, I had to rest up on Monday (and catch up on all the things I missed while I was in prep mode). 

We are in the middle of a heatwave here with high humidity and temps in the 90s and upper 80s. It really zaps any energy I have by noon. Yesterday, Julia and I were at the Farmers Market in Northampton on the pavement behind Thornes Marketplace. I was toast by the end of that day! This morning I continued working on my garden. All the sunflowers are in and I'm hoping the critters don't chomp on them as they emerge as little seedlings. 


I took some photos of the weekend. It is really hard to remember to do that between all the teaching and the chatter. It was a great group on Saturday. In the morning we did Fabric Stamping. Here are some of the process photos and projects the students made. 











Here are a few of the stamps and linoleum carved printing blocks. 


On Sunday, Linda got lucky and had a private class all day lampshade painting because of a no-show. We had a great time chatting and I think she got a lot out of the class. Here is her lampshade in progress. 




Here is the lampshade with the addition of the black lines.



She didn't quite finish it but she did finish when she got home and shared a photo of it in place. I love to see students projects in use. 


The next Creative Retreat is in two weekends - July 29/30. More Fabric Printing, Embroidery, and a day of Tile painting. There are still a couple of spaces left. This year I'm offering both One and Two Day Classes. Check it out here

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun. I really like those stamped fabrics. I'd like to try that some day.

Auntie Shan said...

I haven't done Lino carving since high school [back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth...]. I really enjoyed the whole "motion" of carving, nevermind whatever it was that I was actually trying to make. There's just something "therapeutic" about gauging into the lino...

Meanwhile, WISH that I could've been THERE! It's been domino-[minor]-disasters around here since Thursday... [Workmen putting in new fence-post holes next door accidently severed our Cable line! Still no cable, but much DRAMA! Then Saturday, the bathroom sink drain pipe pretty much fell apart... More epic-ness!] And, when [IF] the rain stops, it's the 80+ humidity and 10+UV!

Anyhoo, I'm glad the Weekend Classes went well and that you've managed to SURVIVE it all! - I *was* thinking of you! :-D [And, of your Sheep, every time I look at our overgrown yard, wishing that they were HERE!]

Well, must get back to "Damage-Control"...
BTW, if I get too side-tracked and forget... "Early" HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES to JULIA!! Give her a *BIG* HUG for me!
:-D
XX

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...