Friday, August 11, 2017

Trying Majolica, Pottery Shed, + Random Things


I've been working on a new (for me) style of ceramics called majolica. You probably are familiar with this style of pottery - it is what the Italians do so well. I did some test tiles and I have a ways to go but it is a start. These are the tiles above before they are fired. I was trying to use commercial glazes so I didn't have to get into mixing my own glaze. I used Spectrum's White glaze with different glazes, underglazes and oxides for the color. 

Here are the tiles after they came out of the kiln. 



They didn't all turn out right - some of them are underfired and I am still testing. With this method of pottery, you have to make the piece and fire it in a kiln. After pieces are bisque fired, they are then covered in a white gloss glaze and the designs are painted on. The pieces are fired again and hopefully the designs sink into the white glaze and are beautiful colors. 

I think it will probably take a year for me to figure it out considering the amount of time I have to put into it. I am a real neophyte when it comes to glazing ceramics because I am mostly self taught. Primarily I purchase ready made glazes from suppliers like Amaco, Duncan and Mayco. I have been taking an evening pottery class for a couple years with local potter extraordinaire Lucy Fagella. She has been so helpful in answering questions as I continue to experiment and fail. I can't say I am going to jump in too much with the majolica as I want to make things that actually work out vs fail. A little at a time. And it is good to experiment and learn new things. 

I have been throwing lots of pots in my new "Pottery Shed". It feels so good to actually get something done. My "Pottery Shed" isn't insulated and because there is an issue with glazes and clay freezing, I'm trying to get as much made out there this summer. I will be decorating it this fall before my Holiday Sale. 


• The Boston Globe wrote about She Sheds here. I'm all set with mine! 


• My zucchinis are coming in like crazy. I'm going to try this recipe and this recipe and this savory zucchini bread recipe

• I bought a veggie spiralizer and I love it! My family loves everything I am making with it too. So far, my favorite veggies to spiralize are zucchini and butternut squash. I may try this recipe for Chilled Cucumber Noodles (via SwissMiss). 

• My student Darby turned me onto a new blog by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. The woman is a true creative force and dynamo. Check it out here.  

I hope you are having a great summer for those of you in the Northern Hemisphere. It goes so fast - doesn't it? 

5 comments:

Auntie Shan said...

;-}
Majolica is over-rated! - Your stuff looks FINE! Actually, I kinda liked the pastel-y shades of the pre-fire glazes.

Meanwhile, I've been sorta "she-shedding" myself by way of a storage locker lately... I refer to it as my "NYC apartment" [the footage rent is about the same!]... Been using the space to "sort" through my Thrift-Art collection. Over 200 pieces! I keep surprising myself on what I had forgotten that I had bought! -- I might have to start renting some of it out... If only to pay for the storage "containers"!
And next, I have the bins of YARN to sort and stow... "Some" of it anyway! ;->

Honestly, "Down-sizing" is a MYTH!

Anyhoo, have a GREAT WEEKEND!
*hugs*!
:-D

Jules said...

This all looks like so much fun, I really want to do a ceramics course, but I fear I have too much on my plate already, and it looks quite technical! Anyway, I love She Sheds too and yours is super cute :) x

Sally said...

Oooooooh! Beautiful stuff, Kristin!

T. Crockett said...

The photo of your unglazed pottery (second photo from the end of the post) made me stop and just look for a long time. The colors, the light, the round pottery lines compared to all the straight lines of the shed and furniture. It looks like a painting. Beautiful.

Mary Lou said...

Those tile are gorgeous! Pottery shed is cooler than pottery barn!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...