Friday, October 13, 2017

Sunflower Platter - From Inspiration to Finished Platter

First off - I hope I get to meet some of you at the Open Studio here at our farm this weekend. Hours are 11 to 4 on Saturday and Sunday. I will be demonstrating throwing on my wheel and share how I decorate my pottery with glazes. I am participating with other potters throughout the US and world for National Clay Week. More info here.


The sunflowers in my garden are almost done for the year. Here are some photos of those that are left. I love how they get heavy with seed and then start leaning over. Just gorgeous. 







I've been finding a lot of sunflower inspiration over the past couple weeks as I have worked on ceramics for this weekend's Open Studio. Here are some progress photos of a large sunflower platter. I'm so happy with how it turned out.  







Here it is - out of the kiln and photographed with the inspiration.  




4 comments:

Auntie Shan said...

*COOL*! ;-D
I love those dark red ones. And that giant one has a great pattern in it's seed bed.
Anyhoo, GOOD LUCK!!
*HUGS*!
:-D

Feathers in my Nest said...

I Adore Sunflowers...I grow a perennial version called Maximillion that is shrub like with many blooms.
Your painting is Gorgeous as always.
Blessings, Debra in Ma.

Radka said...

Beautiful :-)
xx

Monica said...

Wow! I love how the colors come to life after firing!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...