Thursday, November 16, 2017

Around the Farm

The weather has changed and it officially feels like we are deep into November. Chilly evenings, frost in the morning and days that go from cold to warm and then back down to cold at dusk. The light is disappearing fast. And the color is almost gone. We are left with lots of gray and bits of burnt orange in the form of leaves left on the oak and beech trees and bittersweet climbing and strangling the trees. 

Here are a few photos of my garden as it descends towards the deep sleep of winter for several months. This blog is such a fantastic place for me to chronicle our farm, the garden, my artistic and creative life and more here. I hope you enjoy seeing what it looks like outside our cozy farmhouse. 


This is the end of the sunflowers a couple weeks ago. 






Then the cold came in and darker days. The sunflowers continued to decay and will continue over the winter. I don't till them in - they provide lots of food for the critters all winter long. 




The kale doesn't mind the frost. We will eat it until the deer do it in. 


The sun sets on the hill beyond my pottery studio. I planned the orange door to pick up the autumn colors of the leaves. 


3 comments:

Deborah said...

I enjoy all of your pictures, especially the farm pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Unknown said...

Fall is a beautiful time of year atyourfarm. The critters must love your sunflower heads.

Auntie Shan said...

"Orange door" - also makes it easier to find when the snow comes!
;-D

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...