Thursday, March 24, 2016

You Know You Live in The Country When....

The other day, I was driving home from the barns after picking up Beau and Sadie from their sheep watching chores. As I traveled up the hill, I anticipated the famous Leyden Hairpin Turn. What I didn't anticipate was that it would be covered with a giant pile of manure. I wish I thought to get a photo but I was too busy trying to steer my car around it and not wipe out. 

As I traveled up the road, the manure continued and continued and continued. I started to laugh and then smile at my good fortune to be dodging piles of poop. 

Later that day, I ran into my neighbor Sid and his son Jason. They had just finished up picking up all that poop and sweeping it to the side of the road. Evidently the gate on the dump truck was loose. Sid drove along happy as could be with his load of poop. Little did he know that he was fertilizing the road, not his hay fields. 

I hope I remember that story always. 


Here are Beau and Sadie at a calm moment during our walk in the snow on Monday. They are quite a handful, to say the least. Sadie is about 90 pounds and Beau is 100. We are hoping they will grow into good Livestock Guardian Dogs. Fingers crossed. 

Do you need some Lamb for Easter this weekend? Lamb Meat-Up TONIGHT at Webs in Northampton from 5 to 6:30. More Info here. I'll be at the Amherst Winter Farmers Market on Saturday from 10 to 2. Or visit our self-serve farmstore. Directions here.  Best to call ahead to make sure we have what you need. Info here

1 comment:

Auntie Shan said...

ah! So that's how asphalt is made!
;-}

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...