Friday, October 09, 2020

My On-Line Pottery Shop Update Sunday

A quick note tonight to let you all know that I will be updating my On-Line Pottery Shop on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. EDT. I will have lots of new pots - pitchers, vases, mugs, platters, and more. I've been working on these pots since late spring. Here are a few that will be available.









I use a white clay for my pottery. Each piece is thrown on my potter's wheel or built by hand from slabs that I roll out in my studio. Once the pot is thrown, I let it dry slightly and then apply handles if needed. These handles are pulled by hand. When completely dry, I use a sponge to clean up the piece. 

Each piece's decoration is completely different. I assess the shape of the pot and then decide upon the flowers and motifs I will use. Each color has to be hand-painted 3 times in order to obtain the strong color that I prefer. I outline each shape with thin black lines using a very fine liner brush. 

Once I build up enough pieces, I fire the pieces in my pottery kiln. When the pieces cool, I unload them and then paint each one with 3 layers of a clear glaze. It's all very time consuming but I really do enjoy making ceramics. 

Stop by my On-Line Shop on Sunday to check out the new pieces. Here is the link

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. 

No comments:

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...