Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's an Egg Farmer To Do?

At this time of year, I let my chickens out to graze on the lawn and fields every day. They enjoy the freedom and we are rewarded with bright orange yolked eggs. The other day I couldn't help but see the similarity in two of my new colors of Julia Yarn Colors that Nashua Handknits is bringing out this coming fall. The little balls of yarn I wound looked so similar to the eggs' yolks I have been cooking every morning that I just couldn't help myself from taking this photo.


At this time of year, I'm always looking for ways to cook eggs to get rid of the glut of my hens' production. With stone fruit season fast approaching (cherries, apricots, peaches and plums), I began thinking about the classic french peasant dessert "clafouti." I was first introduced to it in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" a long time ago. I love this easy dessert - impressive, not at all labor intensive, light and perfect for springtime.

Somewhere long ago, I once saw a recipe for a tomato clafouti. My search was on - where the heck did I see that? After looking through all my cookbooks, I finally gave up. I decided to take Julia's basic recipe for sweet clafouti and then adapt it to a bunch of cherry tomatoes I had hanging around to make a savory clafouti. It turned out to be perfect for a weekend brunch picnic. It looks so pretty, I can foresee making it for lunch with friends late this summer when my homegrown cherry tomatoes are in abundant supply. Enjoy!


Kristin's Tomato Clafouti

1 1/4 cups milk
3 extra large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
3 cups cherry tomatoes - many colors are nice
4 oz. grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the milk, eggs, salt and flour in a blender or with a hand mixer. By hand, mix in half the cheese. Butter a porcelain quiche pan and pour enough of the batter into the bottom of the pan to cover. Bake for about 5 minutes to set the batter. Remove from oven and place cherry tomatoes neatly around the pan. Pour the batter over the tomatoes. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top. Bake for 45 minutes. A knife should come out clean when inserted into the clafouti.

Serve warm with a green salad. The clafouti is just as good the next day.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds delicious....I'm going to try making it this weekend. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I'm also curious....do you sell your yarn in any shops in western mass? I'm going to be visiting out that way this summer...

coffeechris said...

Yum - Yum yarn, Yum eggs, Yum recipe
Thanks for it all

Lynn said...

I'm coming for brunch. How's Sunday sound?

Deborah said...

Oh my, that looks good (the food AND the yarn!).

Dianne MacDonald said...

Great looking and sounding recipe! I make a tomato pie when the tomato glut is on here later in the summer. I add fresh basil to the mix. Think I'll try your clafouti this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

i grew up eating clafouti as a kid during my summers in france (my parents are french) and i don't think i've had it for years. your savory version looks fantastic!

Elle said...

As Maryse commented, I also grew up with a french mother (army dad) and clafouti was always one of my favorite desserts. I will have to try your savory version as it sounds delicious and with tomatoes right around the corner, I am so ready to make one. Thanks for experimenting with this and providing it for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

We made your clafouti for supper last night, adding some chopped basil and parsley and a little ground black pepper -- it was great! Sort of a fritatta/souffle/omelet/quiche yumminess, but light enough for a summer supper, perfect with a spinach salad. Thanks!

Renna said...

I am anxious to make this, as I know it's something Hubby and I will both love.

I'm curious, do you half the tomatoes, or place them in whole?

Thanks for sharing the great recipe. :-)

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...