Thursday, November 20, 2008

It Takes A........

...... whole lot of people to make beautiful photos for a book.

It's been quiet on my blog the past few days. That's because there's been so much activity and madness here at this little old farmhouse. On Sunday, part of the crew arrived for the photography for my next book. After a quick scouting of locations, we headed off to
The People's Pint for a prep meeting for the upcoming two days. Good food always seems to help out the rather chaotic situtation.

An early call of 7:30 a.m. put this sleepy household into overdrive. I've been burning the candle at both ends finishing up projects til the wee early morning hours for days now. The Farmer has been extremely patient with all the preparations, take-out dinners, and sheer lack of normalness. He is the kind of guy who really does crave normal. It's a good thing he had lots of stuff to do because there was not an inch of normal around here for 3 days.


On top of it all, Julia got a bad sore throat and cold. I couldn't send her to school because I knew I would get a pick up call and I didn't have a moment of extra time to spare. So, I gave her my camera and asked her to document the shoot for you all. Please excuse the blurriness of some of the photos - she was trying her best.

Hair and make-up by Elena.


Julia was fascinated by all the products she dragged through the door.


Julie Hines, the Fashion Stylist.


Julie found such great stuff to really put a nice spin on my knitted projects. My studio was packed to the gills with clothing, coats, boots, rolling racks and boxes direct from NYC. It helps to have lots of choices to sort through. On a location shoot, you never do know what situation you are going to portray. So more is definitely better than less.

Diane Lamphron, the Art Director, kept us all organinzed and on track.


John Gruen, my favorite photographer, didn't disappoint. Here he is giving Julia some photographic pointers.


Sean, John's Photo Assistant, made sure the light was bouncing the right way. Here he was wrangling the two little girl models who weren't so sure this was as much fun as they thought it would be.

Now that almost all photography is done digitally, the computer sure does make things instant and fun. And there are no more polaroids and polaroid trash to dispose of.

Here I am still knitting some finishing projects for the next day's shoot. I'm surprised I have such a nice smile on my face considering the pressure I have been under to get it all done AND clean up the house.


I'm not showing the female models on purpose - I want to keep you guys guessing about some things!

Hard to believe anyone could sleep through any of this but it did happen. Tommie, one of the kittens fell asleep on Diane's clipboard. He was never far from the scene of action, whether asleep or not.



Phew... That part is done but there's much more I've got to take care of. The book won't be out until next fall so I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it in the upcoming months. Back to the regularly scheduled blog posting, I hope.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that was an exciting post! Sounds like Julia can now add photojournalist to her resume along with radio personality.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely awesome! Julia's photos were great, a window on how she saw the day. And great idea, Mom, to occupy her with the photography project! Really lovely post and spin on a hectic day.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Julia!

Thistledew Farm said...

Awesome Julia - thanks for taking the pictures for the blog - you did great! Can't wait to see the book.

Anonymous said...

While it may have been stressful it looks like it went off without a hitch. Julia did a great job with the photos and little Tommie is adorable.

bensedin art said...

I can't wait your new book!

Debbie said...

This was such a great post for many reasons! We got to see the inner workings and people, when the book comes, no one will see it. I love how everyone was included, even last minute, sore throat participants. I have 2 cats and when I do anything it doesn't matter how tired they are, they find a place to watch everything and get little cat naps at the same time. The cat is beautiful.

Deborah said...

New book = excitement!!!!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

I have your other books, so I'll be waiting patiently for this one. It's all very exciting.

Love the kitty pic.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...