Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fast and Furious Lambing Season

We’ve had a busy few days of lambing. So busy that we have lost count and the red and blue sheep numbering system seems to have fallen by the wayside somewhat. (I’m thankful for that and so are my photos!) Wednesday there were ten lambs born. We lost two from the previous week. They weren’t healthy and couldn’t survive despite extra milk fed via a feeding tube. It happens. You get used to it. Not that it is easy. It’s always sad to find a dead lamb. But it is part of the job. When you are expecting over 100 lambs, you know that not all will survive.


Thursday we had nine lambs born. Friday there were seven lambs. Saturday morning (when I am writing this) there were three more and the day is young. We lost a very small twin today – it has been in the house for a couple days. At first we thought it might make it but he developed pneumonia and couldn’t survive. Sweet little thing – rest in peace.


Here are some lamb photos for you to enjoy and share with your children. I’ve been hearing from so many of you that your kids are enjoying out lambing season. It makes me feel good that I can use this blog to share our little bit of farm living with so many families and fiber friends.

The numbering system began in good faith but by Wednesday, when 10 lambs were born – it bit the dust. The plan was to number each mother with a number and then give the baby or babies the same number. The Farmer used a marking paint he bought from Pipestone, a sheep supply company. The paint washes out when the wool is cleaned.

9 comments:

Karin said...

Please keep the pictures coming as much as you are able. I am sharing them with my daughter (11).

Willow said...

Yes, it does happen, but losing lambs is still sad.

I'm looking forward to finding out which lamb Julia 'chooses' as hers, or which lamb chooses Julia.

Deborah said...

Ohhhh...Each time I scroll down to the next photo...ohhhh...ohhhh!

Turtle said...

sad about the deaths, but such is nature. How sweet the photos are though (i like that they are not marked, smile)

Lindy and Paul said...

The top photo looks so much like a painting! I love all of your lamb pictues...

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for the wonderful fotos. I love to visit your blog.
You share it here in my family with five persons but mostly with me and my son Moritz (11).
Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland von Anja

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Such lovely pictures!

Michele in Maine said...

My daughter wishes so much we had a farm with lambs, horses (esp. horses), bunnies, goats, etc. etc. Showing her your blog is so much easier!

I hope the cold weather coming later this week doesn't affect the lambing too much. good luck! So much hard work!

skywitch said...

They are all adorable!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...