Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This Just In! Color by Kristin Advance Copy

I have had my name on the cover of eight books. The excitement really doesn't get old. And so you can just imagine the flurry here today when Fedex delivered my advance copy of Color by Kristin. I was a bit fearful to open the package. Although I poured long and hard over proof pages a couple months ago, trying to make sure everything was right, I was anxious to see the pages actually printed on a printing press (vs. laser computer output). What would the cover be like? The endpapers? How will the words sit on the actual page.

And so here it is in Julia's hands ......


Writing a knitting book is very much a giant process. From conceptual book idea, to swatching of projects, knitting of projects, photography. Then writing the patterns, proofing the patterns, handing it off to the publisher (this book is being published by the wonderful team at Soho Publishing). The chores and tasks go on and on. As an author, I step in and out of the book making process as the publisher needs me. I help when needed and keep my fingers crossed that everything will be presented as I already had envisioned it.

This book is really quite special to me and I hope knitters will like it as much as I enjoyed doing it. What I like about this book is that it presents the way I design and think in a logical manner. It teaches the knitter how to design Fair Isle Patterns themselves. It teaches how to work with color. It teaches steeking. It teaches duplicate stitch and embroidery. And it does it all in an easy to follow format.

Color By Kristin isn't only about learning to design - it has over 20 projects with complete directions so that if you don't want to design something yourself, you can follow my directions explicitly. I've included small projects (mittens, gloves, hats, scarves), larger projects - baby blankets, adult and children's sweaters, and lots of colorful home decor including pillows, bolsters, tea cosies, and french press cosies. Each pattern also gives the knitter a guide as to how to change the project themselves to make it their own. All of the projects are knit in my beautiful Julia Wool/Mohair/Alpaca yarn.

Color by Kristin really does show my work in an authentic atmostphere - All of the projects were photographed at our farm - both outside and inside. Here Julia is looking at the photo of her and her friend Bridget in some super cute Fair Isle Pullovers.


As with all of my books, you can order signed copies directly from me. I will sign them to you or a friend. I always appreciate the direct sales of books from my website.

And so - here you all go - here is the link to my webpage where you can see a preview of some of the projects in Color by Kristin. Here is the link to buy Color by Kristin directly from our little farm. If you do order from me, please fill in in the space provided on the order form who you would like the book inscribed to. If this line isn't filled in, I will just sign it generically......

As for the delivery date, I have just heard that I will probably have books by the end of September (instead of the November that is on my Shop Page at the moment.) As soon as I receive my copies, I will sign and pack them all up and we will do a big run to the post office. Keep checking on my blog as I will announce here when the books come in and go out to all of you who kindly order from me! Thanks to all of you for your continuing support!

22 comments:

kate said...

I am a BEGINNING knitter- are there projects for me in this book? It looks wonderful!

ellen said...

I am a bit beyond a beginning knitter, have done some cables in the past, but just cannot do double pointed needles. I have tried and tried..it could have something to do with being a lefty...a lefty who can only cast on left handed, but knits right handed and a limited crocheter who can only crochet left handed! Whew!
I love all of your creations, your color sense, and the beauty that you create........so I am going out on a limb.

Carol said...

It looks gorgeous!! Congratulations! And those pullovers on Julia and her friend ARE adorable.

Mereknits said...

The book looks fantastic!!! I can't wait to see it. Congrats to you. By the way julia is getting so big, squeeze her a lot as they grow up so fast.

Diane H K in Greenfield said...

Wow! Maybe you'll receive the copies in time for the Fiber Twist.

Julia looks very grown-up in these pictures! She's such a sweetheart.

See you soon! Let's do lunch sometime, okay?

marlaine said...

I'm so excited to see that your new book is so close to being available to the public - it looks fantastic! Will you be signing copies of it at the Rhinebeck sheep show?

Gigi said...

How exciting -- good for you!
Blessings,
G

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Congratulations!

Melissa said...

So exciting! I cannot wait to order my copy from you! :)

P.S. Julia looks so beautiful in that photo! Please let her know that her hair looked especially lovely! :)

Unknown said...

What a thrill! Congratulations and best wishes for your continued success.

Leslie said...

Lovely book - I'll have to order one soon. And Julie has grown up so much! She looks quite fetching in that dress and hairstyle.

Deborah said...

I'm excited for the book's release! After all these years I still get so many nice comments about my Vivaciously Vibrant Vests. From what I can see of the samples, the color work looks fun! Can't wait!!!

Turtle said...

oooh! A COOL NEW knit! and a fabulous lil model~ smile

Joyce said...

I can't wait! I love your last book - I have made lots of cute hats and aspire to bigger projects in it. The instructions were so easy to follow - I loved the format.

ColorJoy LynnH said...

I just ordered it. I love every book of yours I own. Didn't see any special notes box but the book is for me, me, me!

Julia is extra-lovely in these photos. She must have grown an inch in the last few weeks?

Thanks, from a fellow color-lover.
LynnH in Lansing, MI

Mattenylou said...

Wow! Congrats! It must be nice to see it finally complete and know that your knitting ideas will live on forever. I'm sure Julia and her friend are proud, too. How nice, I'm ordering one soon.

Dianne MacDonald said...

I'm so looking forward to receiving this book. It's wonderful that it's going to be released earlier than expected. Can't wait!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Can't wait to see it. Looks lovely!

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Congratulations. Well done you. It looks really beautiful in the photos. Can't wait to see it in real life.

Jane said...

Congratulations! It looks like a great book. Best wishes.

Karin said...

congratulations!!!
I will definitely put this on my Christmas wishlist (just got laid off from my dayjob so cannot go ahead and order immediately...). Julia is my most favorite yarn of all time. I like the kid it's named after, too. :)

Lisa in western MA said...

Congratulations, Kristin!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...