Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Solstice


Today is the Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year. It is also the day my Dad died five years ago. I can’t believe it is five years without him in my life. Although he is always with me and my sisters and my mom everyday. That is how it is with Dads.

My wise friend Diane sent me this poem by Robert Frost which I am now sending along to all of you. Enjoy.......


STOPPING BY WOODS ON A SNOWY EVENING
By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

7 comments:

Kar said...

I know how you feel about your Dad. I've been without mine for six years. He is always around us also but I so miss his wonderful smile and laughter around Christmas. It was his favorite holiday. We just have to remember their smile and the happiness this time of year brought to them. It helps.

Have a wonderful day!
xxxx

Michele in Maine said...

This is one of the few poems that I can still recite by heart, and a favorite.

Blessings to you and your family this Christmas!

Sara said...

I love that poem. Reading it again today has made me sigh.

Happy wishes for you and your family during this holiday time.

nanaofnc said...

As a *daddy's girl*, I still miss my father who passed away 26 years ago. He was my role model in life. Do so love that man and sometimes I swear I feel his presence.

mathea said...

Thank you for sharing that poem, it's an old favourite, but I hadn't read it in a while.

Amy S. said...

My dad died almost exactly a year after yours. You put it so well. I miss him terribly but I do sort of feel I've got him with me all the time. Thanks for the poem!

Unknown said...

I know I am seeing this a little late but just wanted to tell you that I have loved this poem for many years. Seeing it on your blog brought back wonderful warm and calm feelings. There is just something so peaceful about it. Thank you for reminding me.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...