Monday, June 14, 2010

Studio Day Ten

There is a hole in my kitchen wall!


But it's a good thing because it means progress. It was a tight fit and I had just enough room between the kitchen counter and our corner cupboard. We covered the hole with a piece of vinyl so the bugs won't get in. Now we can walk out to the porch instead of climbing a ladder.

The ceiling of the porch is going to be V-groove pine board. Because the ceiling is going to be open, the V-groove is going to be very high. I'm the "painting contractor" unfortunately. I'm using something called "spar varnish" because it is durable outdoors and the space is not going to be heated. It takes forever to dry and I have to varnish 125 of these 12 foot boards! I can do 15 every 2 days! Big job...... and smelly.

Rainy days caused the construction to move indoors. Kevin and Rory worked on the studio space. They drilled into the concrete wall and then screwed pressure treated boards into the wall to form the framing for the interior walls. Patience and lots of pressure on the drill....

Rory worked on the north wall. You can see the the openings for the windows above.


Kevin worked on the east wall.


Phoebe and Nessie are loving all the action - having guests be here all day long. Kevin loves dogs and always spends lots of time giving Phoebe attention. The last time Kevin did a lot of work for me was eleven years ago when we were just moving in. Phoebe was a puppy back then and she loves her Kevin!


That's it for my progress report today.....

6 comments:

Kar said...

Look at all that wonderful progress being made! It just keeps getting better. :)

Cathy said...

It's going to be so lovely when it's all finished. I enjoy seeing the work-in-progress.

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Getting Closer!!!

MicheleinMaine said...

Personally, I love the smell of varnish but you should really wear a respirator, even if you're nearly outside. I'm sure the wood will just glow when it's done. Such a big space!

Anonymous said...

We just finished a bathroom re-do, and it only lasted a month. I thought I was going to go nuts...

Lindsay said...

Kristen, your kitchen looks so beautiful.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...