Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sheep Going Home

First off, still time to order lamb for tonight's Lamb Meat-Up at Webs in Northampton. See this post. I'll have extra with me too!

Seems like this time of year everyone goes home. On Sunday, most of our ewe flock moved back to their winter quarters. Lambing will begin really soon and The Farmer is getting the facilities prepped, ordering important supplies, and generally getting nervous. Pretty soon here at our Leyden Glen Farm, it is going to be all about babies. 

Kate waited anxiously - our job was to guard an opening to a tempting hayfield.


Down the road they came....
 


The big guy is our Polypay ram who is one of three rams we used for breeding this year. 


Sheep run......
 

Off they go....
 

Home safe and sound.....
 
 

All in all the move went smoothly.


I'm sure some of you are curious about the polka dot sheep. The ewes are covered with burrs. The pastures they graze in the late fall are inundated with burdocks. Not much we can do about it. They fall out and unfortunately the seeds spread. And no, I'm not interested in making coats for 300 plus sheep.

Good day everyone!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I just love seeing the sheep again! The elf toppers are charming. I get so many nice comments on my lovely scarves and my sweater from Color by Kristin and Kristin Knits. Thank you for the great designs and wonderful colors you add to the world.

Caffeine Girl said...

Wow: comments from two Deborah's in a row!

I so love living on a sheep farm vicariously -- and not having to do any of the hard work! Still, I can feel from your posts how rewarding all that work is.

Vermont Grand View Farm said...

The picture of Kate tugs at my heart strings. We lost our border collie in September due to megaesophagus, and seeing Kate's face, with that eager, intent look, reminds me of our dog Tess. I had not planned on replacing her, but seeing Kate, reminds me of just how special border collies are.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristin-I love your blog! I look forward to it in my email and I love seeing your creativity in knitting and especially the sheep and dogs. Thank you SO much for another year of wonderful work and sharing.
Hanna Morgan Ashley, Portland OR

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...