Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Perfectly.....

...... miserable day here! I guess we should expect it since it is the end of February. We had 6" of very heavy wet sloppy snow this morning. School was cancelled and the roads are an absolute nightmare. Supposed to be the same tomorrow. Western Mass in February! And we still have mud season to look forward to.



When I first moved here, I didn't have a clue what "mud season" was. If you do not live on a farm, you really cannot fathom the term. I will just tell you all that "mud season" is a real season - approximately 4 to 5 weeks, depending on the year, when the ground gets soft, the frost heaves, and we walk around ankle to knee deep in mud and muck. Even writing this makes me wish I could get out of town soon. I cannot leave, unfortunately. I will have to tough it out and know that it will get over. On some British blogs I read, I've seen daffodils and snowdrops. How is that possible???? 


The ewes and lambs are still doing their thing. More babies - even if the crazy numbers aren't happening, there is still a lot of new life in the barns. Our diligent record keeping is faltering. We do know that there have been more than 200 little new lives added here.



This photo is for my extended family who always shudder when they have to ride in my truck. No wonder it looks and smells like it does. It frequently has passengers with four legs who do not bark. I do have a fabulous plastic liner thing but still....


The older lambs are growing like crazy.


I've been trying to get a video of the lambs racing around in the evenings. Here is one I took the other night while we were feeding hay to the ewes. It was almost dark and it is not the greatest but you get the feeling.


The wonderful Adaliza has just finished her Carnival Crochet Blanket using my Julia yarn. Please check it out here! What a bright and happy way to brighten up a gray day. And love the photos. What a location!

10 comments:

Blonde said...

I could look at those frolicking lambs for hours!!! :-)

Paula F said...

Hang in there. I hope and the Farmer are feeling better.

Cathy said...

We have just been having rain. Guess I'm glad that we can get around, but I'm tired of winter. Thanks again for my dose of lamb pictures. Between your blog and The Pioneer Woman's cattle pictures, my inner farm desires get met!

Auntie Shan said...

I'm not going to even TRY to immagine what Your "snow" is like! - I've seen the radar maps! Seriously. You guys have to teach them Sheep to shovel!

We were just "brushed" with 4+ inches of wet snow with more for later. Or, perhaps sooner..? During my 3-hour FLAKE-FEST, it kept coming down at about an inch per hour! Very depressing when you scrape 20-feet of snow, then turn around to see it totally covered again! -- I know it doesn't sound like much to most people, but I'll take a foot of DRY Powder snow over THIS *any* day!! Think -- WET CEMENT! I've already broken my GOOD Scoop Shovel and I fear that my METAL one might not be too far behind!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the city-plow to go by and tsunami THE GREAT WALL into my laneway... hmm.. I wonder if I can MacGyvver a blow-torch onto that broken shovel..?? :-D

Anyway, keep on Blooging Kristin!! **HUGS**!!

shabby girl said...

Thank GOD you have those sweet baby lamb faces to make up for "Mud Season!"
Hugs to you and your farm for working so hard!

Patty said...

Oh how I feel for you with the mud!We had a house at the bottom of a long dirt road, no matter how much rock we put down it sunk in. In the spring I had to park above the house because I could not get out. My rule was, in winter drive in the ruts, in spring stay out of them! At least you have some cute fluffy lambs, muddy but cute! I had 4 muddy boys, also cute.

Adaliza said...

Aw, such cute lambs - love the video. Sprig will come soon hopefully. It's really cold here in the UK and yes, we're snuggly every night under the great Carnival crochet blanket - so warm! Thanks for the mention.

MicheleinMaine said...

Oh, what a good chuckle, esp. when that lamb did a little leap into the air! They are beyond adorable. I'd say 200 is a pretty crazy number! You and the Farmer are doing heroic work.

Margo said...

Mud season-I feel your pain. We only have a small yard but years of dogs, parking cars and boats have taken a toll. Love your photos and videos.

Ann said...

I feel for you. February is definitely the cruelest month in rural new england. I had a crying jag 2 days this week and I never cry! This photo from Coastal Maine Botanical Garden (great place) majorly cheered me up the other day...just one lil flower makes a difference!

https://www.facebook.com/MaineGardens#!/photo.php?fbid=10151521237569853&set=pb.60117229852.-2207520000.1362165050&type=3&theater

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...