Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Crisp Season

Fall is my most favorite time of year and it feels like it is now here. It was in the mid-30's this morning and they are saying it may frost tonight. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it doesn't because I have planned the sunflower bloom for next week's photoshoot. I guess I will be out there with the sheets covering up everything this evening and hoping for the best. We cannot control Mother Nature. 

I love a good apple or "anything crisp" and I am continually trying new versions of a classic autumn treat to find the one I like best. They are such a non-fussy, quick to make treat - no rolling out dough, barely a dirty bowl..... my kind of baking. 

I was leery when I found a crisp topping on David Lebovitz's blog using polenta instead of traditional rolled oats. I gave it a go this weekend with the end of the local peaches and blueberries. Oh boy - it was divine. The topping was crispy and the peaches and blueberries were fab. I used slivered almonds and they turned all golden brown. The polenta added the perfect crunch which actually held up for 2 days. Give it a try. 

Blueberry/Peach Polenta/Almond Crisp

Fruit Layer
7 peaches, peeled and sliced
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour

Crisp Topping
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup polenta - I used Bob's Red Mill
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
grating of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces) melted

Peel and slice peaches and place in casserole. I used a 10 x 7 inch casserole dish. Add blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar and flour and mix to distribute.

In a bowl, mix all topping ingredients. Pour over fruit topping spreading out evenly.

Bake at 400 for approximately 35 to 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and soft.


Cherie Martin in EP CO said...

Thank you for the beautiful photos and enticing recipe. Both remind me of the wonderful time I had with you last September. - Glad it was then and not now. We are currently consumed with flood issues.

Adaliza said...

Hope the frost stays away - your sunflowers are looking amazing. I'm definitely going to try the polenta/almond crisp - so many apples on the garden trees here. Very chilly in the evenings here now - the fire's on and I'm hoping to plant more Spring bulbs tomorrow. Time to plan ahead - now there's a treat!

Cathy said...

Fall is a wonderful time of year! Crisp sums it up nicely!

MarmePurl said...

Fall certainly is fabulous. I love crisp thing as well. The air, apples..linens...