The sunflowers are almost done now. Here's a shot at dusk a couple weeks ago. It was beautiful that day. Good thing I snapped them.
Thought I would share a project I made 3 years ago for my 50 Sunflowers to Knit, Crochet, and Felt book. This project got canned by the publisher. I guess they just didn't get me or else thought the project wasn't worth the pages. I was inspired by sculpted relief tiles and thought I could turn some crochet into a plaque for the wall. Turning crochet into art - that would be a good thing. But no, it was too far over the top.
Here's the plaque as it hangs on our porch.
Here's a side view - you can see the all the pieces and the shapes of the petals and leaves.
Here are a few process photos. I crocheted a shaped center and stuffed it w/ fiberfill.
This photo shows all the pieces before assembly.
After I made the whole thing, I added wire to the back of the crochet to make the pieces bend and curl like real flowers. I glued it onto a wooden plaque I got at the craft store. Then I painted the whole thing in acrylic paint in a color similar to cement.