Monday, May 01, 2017

Daffodils and Memories

It's May Day everyone. Happy May Day!


The daffodils and narcissus are blooming here at the farm. Over the years, I have planted different kinds so now I have a nice collection of different blooms. Some have petered out but others keep multiplying. I love tulips but so do the deer and the sheep so I go for daffs and narcissus. 

Every year, I pick a bundle of daffodils and place them in this turquoise vase. I look forward to this arrangement each year. The yellow flowers are picked up by the relief flowers of the vase. I don't know anything about the vase but I love it and am glad the cats haven't broken it yet. 

When the daffodils bloom, they remind me of my Dad who was an incredible gardener. He loved all flowers and was always bringing them in the house or to his office the brighten up the reception area of his business. In his wallet, he carried this poem by William Wordsworth. Every season when the daffodils bloom, I think of Daddy and read the poem again. 

The Daffodils 
By William Wordsworth (1804) 

I wandered lonely as a cloud 
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
 
When all at once I saw a crowd,
 
A host, of golden daffodils;
 
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
 
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
 

Continuous as the stars that shine
 
And twinkle on the milky way,
 
They stretched in never-ending line
 
Along the margin of a bay:
 
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
 
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
 

The waves beside them danced; but they
 
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
 
A poet could not but be gay,
 In such a jocund company: I gazed - and gazed - but little thought 
What wealth the show to me had brought:
 

For oft, when on my couch I lie
 
In vacant or in pensive mood,
 
They flash upon that inward eye
 Which is the bliss of solitude; 
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
 
And dances with the daffodils.


Have a great week everyone! 

For those of you who have been waiting - I have just updated my website and opened up the ONE DAY OPTIONS FOR THIS YEAR'S CLASSES. CHECK IT OUT HERE. Feel free to send any questions you might have. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that poem. I memorized it in the 5th grade for a class assignment where everyone had to recite a poem from memory. My mother bought me a shirt to wear that had daffodils on it. I can clearly remember standing up in front of the class and reciting it.

Adaliza said...

You have beautiful daffodils in your garden and they are just perfect in that gorgeous vase. Ours have all been gone for a while over here but I love them so - they're the national flower of Wales - my homeland!

Jimy said...

Loved the poem, you have written it beautifully. Few old memories, you refreshed it. Thank you for sharing it with us

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...