Monday, June 19, 2017

Loving Yellow and Some New Embroideries

I can't get enough yellow. I love it in its many shades - sunflower yellow, canary yellow, turmeric yellow, yellow squash, lemon yellow, daffodil yellow, egg yolk yellow. It is so bright and sunny and makes me happy. I've been seeing it being featured more and more in current interior design magazines. 


One of the most famous uses of yellow in interiors is at Giverny.


Love how the yellow room contrasts with Monet's blue kitchen. Heaven. 


And then there is of course Nancy Lancaster's Yellow Room. 


I know most people are rather colorphobic and don't have the nerve to paint an entire room yellow. Using yellow as an accent color is a great way to add some pops of fun color to any space. Like pillows or a bright chair.

I've been working on two new yellow embroidered pieces. They both began as plain yellow linen fabric. I printed the circle and oval designs on the linen with fabric paint and heat set them. These simple shapes are perfect for embellishing with embroidery. 


Here is the first one - Printed with ovals and circles in green, hot pink, and red. My original idea was to fill the circles and ovals with lots of different stitches. When I finished outlining the shapes, I decided that the piece would stand on its own without any more stitching. Now to sew it into something. 


For the second piece, I printed several different sizes of circles in brown. Each circle was decorated with a variety of embroidery stitches in bright colors. This was a really fun project to work on and I'm kind of sorry it is done. 


Here are some close-ups of some of the circles. I used a variety of stitches. 






I may work up another pieces similar to this one. Crewel embroidery is so easy to pick up and put down when I am at the Farmers Market. I much prefer handstitching in the summer than knitting or crochet because of the heat factor. 

These two pieces are samples for my upcoming Fabric Printing and Crewel Embroidery Creative Retreat happening July 29th. There are still a few spaces available for that retreat. More info here

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have been scouring the web for the perfect oilcloth, and saw your fabric samples on the blog. Does Spoonflower offer that as an option? Your prints would be perfect in my kitchen!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Hi Charlene - No Spoonflower doesn't do oilcloth. Too bad. I would be all over that!
Sorry. Kristin

Auntie Shan said...

Yellow, huh? - Personally, I'm a bit picky with that colour. Prefer a pale tone or a dijon-esque hue...
;-D

Nanaknits said...

I, too, love yellow and have a yellow room. It was originally a spare bedroom converted to an office. Now is a bathroom and laundry room to be. It is a 'sunflower' yellow. Thanks for the pictures of other yellow rooms.
I originally found your blog when I was looking for Christmas stocking patterns. Love the use of color and have been inspired by your use of color for years now.

yardsailor said...

In your newsletter this morning, the link for Ikea on Amazon takes one to a movie on Amazon about a transvestite, might want to correct the link.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...