Thursday, September 20, 2018

Paisley Crewel Embroidered Pillow Project

I want to share a project I have been working on for a while...... a Crewel Embroidered Paisley Pillow. This was a super fun project to make. 




Here is a close-up.



It is a variation on a different Paisley Crewelwork Project that I shared here and here

I used a royal blue fabric paint and the cornflower blue linen fabric I sell on my website hereTo begin, I printed the paisley shapes following instructions in my new book Crafting A Patterned Home

Then I collected some odds and ends of blues and green crewel wool colors. I designed the pillow to go on my sister's new screened in porch. I also made a second pillow - in a bit simpler design that I will share soon. 

I used embroidery stitches that are found in my PDF downloadable pattern Circles Sampler Pillow Pattern. You can purchase that here. You can also find many of the stitches in my book Colorful Stitchery

I love the free-form quality of Crewel Embroidery. Each paisley motif can be treated differently - a small experiment in color and design and stitch combinations. Here are some close-ups of the different paisley motifs that I stitched. 













Hope you try some Crewel Embroidery too this fall. I have many Crewel Wool Embroidery supplies available on my website and you can taken an on-line class called Stitch It with Wool on the BluPrint and Craftsy websites. Getting into Crewel Embroidery is very reasonable - all you need is some linen fabric, wool thread, needle and a hoop. And it will bring you hours of enjoyable time creating. 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have to try this. Paisley might be my husband's favorite pattern.

Stephanie

Robin said...

It's beautiful!

Cathy said...

So creative! Blues & greens are a favorite color combination

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...