Friday, May 06, 2011

A Farm Dog's Life

I cannot imagine living my life here on this sheep farm without having a Border Collie or two. Currently, the dogs of Leyden Glen Farm are Phoebe (front - 11 years) and Nessie (back - 6 years). 


Our dogs work hard but they genuinely love their work and live to work. There is nothing like the joy in watching a farm dog do their rounds. They joyfully accompany whoever is outside in sun, rain, snow and sleet. Nothing bothers them. As we walk around, I watch them - making sure everything is in its place.... that everything is right with the farm.

 

A great day for our Collies is going out for a walk with one of their people, checking out the stock, and generally living life. There are doggie special spots to each of the fields and woods we travel, places where they can get into a bit of mischief and mud, like the little sheep watering hole.


And then, when Mom isn't quite looking, there is the perfect way to top off each day if you are a farm dog.

 
 
A good roll in the manure..... Aaahhhh - you didn't see that did you Mom?


"Boy, was that ever great!"

 

7 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Love, love, LOVE these pics! Beautiful.....

Anonymous said...

Those dogs are SO happy! Now it's time to get another. =0)

life ldc said...

It's not just a good farm dog that likes to roll in the muck LOL!

Great photos!

Andrea@ThatllDoFarm said...

I've had many dogs throughout my life, but nothing compares to our Border Collie. Smart, fun-loving, hard-working -- they are the perfect dog. Moose is never happier than when he is working sheep.

Your dogs are beautiful.

phaedra96 said...

Border collies are a breed that seriously need a job or they find more trouble than they ever wanted. Cannot herd sheep, will work on cars. I love them and their smarts, but am wise enough to know I am not the owner for one.

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

oh the life of a farm dog!

citylifetoranchingwife.blogspot.com

tina said...

omg I loved this post SO MUCH! My dogs would love to be farm dogs! Well my boy dog would, most days he's bored cuz his Mom works from home with more work and not enough walks. Girl dog would not like this as it would interrupt her constant napping. Lazy dog. Seriously, I just loved loved loved this post Kristin, I'm still smiling!

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...