Sunday, May 17, 2020

Pottery, Digital Divide + Interesting Videos

Two vases - one from 2019 and one from 1997

Thank you so much everyone for the support of my ceramics. On Thursday, I added 32 new pieces of pottery to my website and in a flash they were all sold. I was overwhelmed and definitely encouraged that folks wanted to support me and my work. I got quite a few notes from people saying they wanted to purchase but everything was sold. That is a good problem to have I admit. I wish I could make more and make faster but it's just not possible. I'm a one woman business and my time is split in many ways. My 100 Day Project has really helped to keep me focused on my ceramics. Although I haven't posted 100 Days in a row, I'm keeping it up even if I have to miss a day or two because of other commitments. 


All this said, this brings me to the digital divide in rural America. Ever since people have been working from home (March 24th in Massachusetts), our internet has gotten slower and slower. I can barely stand to write a blog post or newsletter nor look for interesting things to read and share. It makes it so difficult to compete economically and socially with those who live in cities and suburbs where there is fast internet. The phone lines that bring us our internet were installed in the 1940's. These lines bring us the connectivity to the outside world. 

The State of Massachusetts placed some kind of high speed 5G service at the Town Offices so I am back to sitting in my car to work again. In order to get my ceramics on-line (photos take forever to upload at our house) and to ship them via my shipping platform, I've had to go to the Town Offices. Not complaining (really) - just stating the facts. 


Julia, our college student daughter has been finding it very difficult to take on-line classes since her college has gone 100% online because of the Pandemic. She frequently gets bumped off her Zoom meetings due to the slow internet speed. Julia doesn't drive so she is confined to home unless I have the hours to sit with her in the car as there is no place to sit outside at the Town Office Building. Her personality and learning style is not one which melds with on-line learning so I really don't know what she is going to do this summer or fall. I know there are so many people in the same situation. We've just got to be patient and see how everything goes and the Pandemic goes on. 

I have recently enjoyed these two videos about two different designers' homes. 


Robert Kime from House and Garden UK



Johnson Hartig of Libertine's home on Quintessence


Here is one from the UK - cows going out to graze after a winter in the barn. Such joy in seeing them run. It's probably how a lot of folks are going to feel when they are able to start moving around in public again.  


How are you faring these days? What is motivating or frustrating you? I hope you all are well and safe and healthy. 

8 comments:

Stephanie Woerner said...

We are safe and healthy. David, my husband, has learned to sew because he wanted to make masks. A tip for the slower bandwidth--if you can use a wired connection, it will be somewhat better. I have to plug in an ethernet cable to keep my online meetings from stalling and stuttering. If you aren't doing online video or interactive stuff, wireless works fine but even here in a town with reasonably good internet, wireless is an issue. Glad to hear things are going well. I loved the pottery! Stephanie

Nanaknits said...

Have you checked into a cellular plan for accessing the internet? We live in a digitally underserved area of central PA and I switched to an iPad with a cellular connection. It works so much better than the satellite service or other services we tried. Check with your local cellular provider.

T. Crockett said...

The internet slow down has been an issue in my Boston suburb too, so I can only imagine how much worse it is where you are. Sending best wishes to your daughter and her teachers for the patience and wisdom to find their way through. I wish I had something more tangible to offer.

Thank you for the cow video. The beauty of the filming, the cows' joy and the thoughtful narration almost brought me to tears.

T. Crockett said...

The internet slow down has been an issue in my Boston suburb too, so I can only imagine how much worse it is where you are. Sending best wishes to your daughter and her teachers for the patience and wisdom to find their way through. I wish I had something more tangible to offer.

Thank you for the cow video. The beauty of the filming, the cows' joy and the thoughtful narration almost brought me to tears.

Kristin Nicholas said...

Thanks so much for letting me know that in Boston too speeds have slowed. I
I love that cow video. Our sheep react somewhat the same when they move onto pastures. I don’t have the drone technology to document it. Wish I had a friend with a drone.

Kristin Nicholas said...

The community college Julia goes to let her and other students borrow that kind of thing. It worked okay but actually sometimes the cellphone servoce is the fastest for internet.

Kristin Nicholas said...

We are going to get an Ethernet cable. Thx for the suggestion Stephanie.

Gilbert said...

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post.
I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...